A node module that returns an array of all words in a string that are not a pronoun or generic words.
This can be used for storing just the keywords of a string in a database and not wasting space with words like 'and', 'to', 'the'... which are unlikely to be searched for in a query.
yarn add remove-words --save
var removeWords = require('remove-words'); removeWords("Today is sunny so we are going to go swimming at the seaside"); // Will return: ['today', 'sunny', 'swimming', 'seaside']
By default all duplicates will be removed. The second (optional) parameter is a boolean, specifiying weather of not to remove duplicates.
removeWords("Hello world hello hello", true); // ["hello", "world"] removeWords("Hello world hello hello", false); // ["hello", "world", "hello", "hello"]
Using a custom word list
var names = ['jack', 'john', 'joe', 'james', 'jim'] removeWords("The winners are: Jack, John and Jim!!!", true, names) // Will remove just all names
- Case insensitive
- Handles special characters, URL's and other non standard strings
- By default doesn't return any duplicates, but can be specified in 2nd parameter
- Doesn't return blanks or special characters
- Thoroughly unit tested
- Words list is customisable, optionally pass in your own array as the third parameter
gulp build- Lints and compiles CoffeeScript
gulp test- Runs tests
gulp- Watches for changes, cleans working directory, builds and tests
If you find an issue:
- Feel free to raise it as an issue here (give as much detail about your scenario as possible) and I'll look into it
- Or better yet submit a pull request with your feature or fix. Ensure all tests still pass and give a short sentence of why it should be merged in the PR description.
- Clone the repo and cd into it.
git clone https://github.com/Lissy93/remove-words.git && cd $(basename $_ .git)
- Install dev dependencies
yarn install --production=false
- Build and/or watch
npm run build/
npm run watch
- Make changes, then run