Hugo theme Hermit
Hermit is a minimal and fast theme for Hugo. It's built for bloggers who want a simple and focused website.
- A single-column layout and carefully crafted typography offers a great reading experience.
- Navigations and functions are placed in the bottom bar which will hide when you scroll down.
- Featured image is supported. It will be displayed as a dimmed background of the page.
- Displays all of your posts on a single page, with one section per year, simple and compact.
- Extremely lightweight and load fast. No third party framework, no unnecessary code.
- Responsive & Retina Ready. Scales gracefully from a big screen all the way down to the smallest mobile phone. Assets in vector format ensures that it looks sharp on high-resolution screens.
Theme Demo (uses contents and config from the
Run this command from the root of your Hugo directory:
$ git clone https://github.com/Track3/hermit.git themes/hermit
Or, if your Hugo site is already in git, you can include this repository as a git submodule. This makes it easier to update this theme. For this you need to run:
$ git submodule add https://github.com/Track3/hermit.git themes/hermit
Alternatively, if you are not familiar with git, you can download the theme as a
.zip file, unzip the theme contents, and then move the unzipped source into your
For more information, read the official documentation of Hugo.
The example config file can be found in the theme's
exampleSite folder. You can just copy the
config.toml to the root directory of your Hugo site. There are instructions in the example config file, feel free to change strings as you like to customize your website.
Use RealFaviconGenerator to generate these files, put them into your site's
The following icons are supported, please make sure the
name filed is exactly one of these:
If that's not enough, you can see Overriding templates section.
- Keep your regular pages in the
contentfolder. To create a new page, run
hugo new page-title.md
- Keep your blog posts in the
content/postsfolder. To create a new post, run
hugo new posts/post-title.md
In Hugo, layouts can live in either the project’s (root) or the themes’ layout folders, any template inside the root layout folder will override theme's layout that relative to it, for example:
layouts/_default/baseof.html will override
themes/hermit/layouts/_default/baseof.html. So, you can easily customize the theme without edit it directly, which makes updating the theme easier. Here's some common customizations:
Customize social icons
You can modify or add any svg icons in site's
Customize comment system
We only have built-in support for Disqus at the moment, if that doesn't fit your needs, you can just add html to site's
Add custom analytics
If you prefer to use different analytics system other than google analytics, then add them inside
Add custom css
For adding custom css to the theme, you need to assign an array of references in
config.toml like following:
[params] customCSS = ["css/foo.css", "css/bar.css"]
You can reference as many stylesheets as you want. Their paths need to be relative to the
static folder or they can be network resources.
You can inject any html code to every page's document head or right above the closing body tag. This makes it easier to add any html meta data, custom css/js, dns-prefetch etc. To do this you simply need to create a file at site's
layouts/partials/extra-foot.html, code inside will be injected to every page.