grb -- Greek Bible on the Command Line
A command line tool for search and reading the Bible in Greek. The Old Testament is the Septuagint (containing some differing texts), and the New Testament is the SBL Greek New Testament.
Format and original implementation from bontibon/kjv. Meant to be a companion program.
usage: ./grb [flags] [reference...] -l list books -W no line wrap -h show help Reference types: <Book> Individual book <Book>:<Chapter> Individual chapter of a book <Book>:<Chapter>:<Verse>[,<Verse>]... Individual verse(s) of a specific chapter of a book <Book>:<Chapter>-<Chapter> Range of chapters in a book <Book>:<Chapter>:<Verse>-<Verse> Range of verses in a book chapter <Book>:<Chapter>:<Verse>-<Chapter>:<Verse> Range of chapters and verses in a book /<Search> All verses that match a pattern <Book>/<Search> All verses in a book that match a pattern <Book>:<Chapter>/<Search> All verses in a chapter of a book that match a pattern
Notes and Contents
- I/II Samuel and I/II Kings are named with their English titles despite the fact that in Greek they are respectively I-IV Kings. This is simply because the interface is in English and is supposed to be consistent with
- What are in some versions the books Erza and Nehemiah are in the Septuagit 2 Esdras. However these books/verse can be accessed via either possible name.
- Apochrophal and Deuterocanonical books included, including:
- 1 Esdras
- I-IV Maccabees
- Wisdom of Solomon
- Psalms of Solomon
- Zephaniah (Sophonias)
- Letter of Jeremiah
- Bel and the Dragon
- Different editions of books from different texts:
- Judges (Alexandrinus (default) & Vaticanus)
- Tobit (Vaticanus/Alexandrinus (default) & Sinaiticus)
- Daniel (Theodotion)
- Susanna (Theodotion)
- Bel and the Dragon (Theodotion)
grb by running:
git clone https://github.com/lukesmithxyz/grb.git cd grb sudo make install
The script is in the public domain. The SBL Greek New Testament translation/edition has a permissive license for non-commercial uses. See it here.