Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Style Guide: git commits
- Check in sets of changes via git. All changes in one revision should have a common theme. If you implemented two rather different things (say, one bug fix and one new feature) then split your check in into two.
Always add a descriptive comment (feel free to be verbose).
- use a short (<50 characters) subject line that summarizes the change
- leave a blank line
- optionally, add additional more verbose descriptions; paragraphs or bullet lists (with
*) are good
- manually break lines at 80 characters
- manually indent bullet lists
- See also Tim Pope's A Note About Git Commit Messages for rationale.
Clone this wiki locally
Press h to open a hovercard with more details.