A simple to use VHDL module to display text on VGA display.
Go simulate your own VHDL projects or even the ones you build with this text library. A faster better way to debug projects with VGA.
- VHDL'93 supports the full table of ISO-8859-1 characters (0x00 through 0xFF(255))
- The font included includes 0x00 through 0x7F(127)
- Non printing characters are supported using concatenation. ex.
constant heart_msg : string := "I" & ETX & "You";
The constraints (.ucf) is configured for the Basys 2 but any FPGA with VGA should be able to run this code (make sure to update contraints)
- Expand included font to support the full 0x00 through 0xFF (255) character range
- Bug fix! Fixed a problem where text does not appear if you only use 1 text_line module.
- Added a font rom arbiter: This gets rid of the unnecessary font map for every text_line module and frees up board space.
- Moved to block ram for the personal storage of each text_line module. This saves a lot of board space. We used to use an array of long std_logic_vectors
- Working text modules but took up a lot of board real estate.
- The original font ROM pops up in many projects and sites (below). It has been since updated and cleaned up for this project.