A few small ways to keep yourself secure!
Table of Contents
A password is a string used to verify your identity.
1a. Strong Passwords
Your password should contain the following:
- At least 8 characters
- At least 2 numbers
- At least 3 lowercase letters
- At least 3 uppercase letters
- Optional: Misc. characters
You need to be careful what you download. It could be real and safe, rouge and harmful, etc.
When downloading/adding extensions, you should do a few things.
- Check the reviews. If they say anything about viruses, malware, etc., steer away.
- Check the publisher. If it is a well known publisher, make sure it is the real one.
- Read what it can do. An extension to help open PDFs shouldn't be able to read your mail! (just an example)
When downloading files, be careful.
- Scan the file with VirusTotal (https://virustotal.com)
- Check the programs reputation. If people are saying it's not a good program, steer away.
- If more then 10 scan engines on VirusTotal detect the file, chances are it isn't safe.
3a. Reading and responding
If you ever recieve an EMail from somebody you don't know, ignore it. It is most likely spam and should be deleted.