flake8 used to do (by accident), plus much more.
A tool and pre-commit hook to lint Cython files.
Here's some major projects using
cython-lint - is yours missing? Feel free to open a pull request!
- open library
- RAPIDS cuspatial
- RAPIDS cudf
- RAPIDS Memory Manager
$ pip install cython-lint
Usage as a pre-commit hook
See pre-commit for instructions
- repo: https://github.com/MarcoGorelli/cython-lint rev: v0.15.0 hooks: - id: cython-lint - id: double-quote-cython-strings
$ cython-lint my_file_1.pyx my_file_2.pyx my_file_1.pyx:54:5: 'get_conversion_factor' imported but unused my_file_2.pyx:1112:38: 'mod' defined but unused (try prefixing with underscore?) my_file_3.pyx:4:9: dangerous default value! my_file_3.pyx:5:9: comma after base type in definition
The following configuration options are available:
- exclude lines by including a
# no-cython-lintcomment (analogous to
as well as the following command-line arguments:
--max-line-lengthto control the maximum line length used by pycodestyle;
--no-pycodestyleif you don't want the pycodestyle checks;
--ignoreif you want to ignore some specific pycodestyle checks;
--filesto pass a Regex pattern with which to match files to include;
--excludeto pass a Regex pattern with which to match files to exclude.
Configuration can be set project-wise in a
pyproject.toml file at the root of the project.
Here's an example
[tool.cython-lint] max-line-length = 88 ignore = ['E503', 'E504'] exclude = 'my_project/excluded_cython_file.pyx'
Which checks are implemented?
- assert statement with tuple condition (always true...)
- comma after base type definition (e.g.
cdef ndarray, arr)
- comparison between constants
- dangerous default value
- dict key repeated
- dict key variable repeated
- f-string without placeholders
- if-statement with tuple condition (always true...)
- late-binding closures https://docs.python-guide.org/writing/gotchas/#late-binding-closures
- pointless string statement
pycodestylenitpicks (which you can turn off with
- repeated element in set
.lstripused with repeated characters
- unnecessary list index lookup
- unnecessary import alias
- variable defined but unused
- variable imported but unused
In addition, the following automated fixers are implemented:
- double-quote-cython-strings (replace single quotes with double quotes, like the
More to come! Requests welcome!