Robot Overlord is 3D control software for robots. It is intended to be easier than ROS. It was started by http://www.marginallyclever.com/
We would love to see your robot run in the app. Please joint our Discord channel and talk live with a human! https://discord.gg/Q5TZFmB
Some of the robots it controls are:
- Sixi 2+3, 6DOF arms
- Arm3, a 3DOF arm
- Thor, a 5DOF arm
- Rotary Stewart Platforms, like flight simulators
- Delta Robot 3, aka a Kossel
- Spidee, a 6 legged crab-style walker.
- Dog Robot, a generic 4 legged walker.
For our philosophy about RO, please see the Wiki: https://github.com/MarginallyClever/Robot-Overlord-App/wiki/Why-Robot-Overlord%3F
Steps to get started:
- Install The latest OpenJDK (java software)
- Install Eclipse (prorgramming interface)
- Install Robot Overlord App
Then you should be able to run the application.
Install The latest OpenJDK
Get the Open Java Development Kit (OpenJDK) https://jdk.java.net/ . The latest version is the "ready to use" edition.
OSX: Unarchive the OpenJDK tar, and place the resulting folder (i.e. jdk-12.jdk) into your /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/ folder since this is the standard and expected location of JDK installs. You can also install anywhere you want in reality.
Windows: https://stackoverflow.com/a/52531093 untested
Linux: https://linuxize.com/post/install-java-on-ubuntu-18-04/ untested
- Download Eclipse IDE: https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
- install the latest.
- Choose "Eclipse IDE for Java developers"
Install Robot Overlord App
- Goto https://github.com/MarginallyClever/Robot-Overlord-App/
- Fownload this zip file: https://github.com/MarginallyClever/Robot-Overlord-App/archive/refs/heads/master.zip and extract it. Note the folder for later.
- Open Eclipse. If you see the "Welcome!" tab, close it.
- Go to File > Import > Maven > Existing Maven Projects > Next > (folder from previous step) > Finish
- Go to Window > Show View > Package Explorer
- Right click on "Robot Overlord" in Package Explorer view and select > Maven > Update Project
- select Run > Debug As > Java Application
- select "Robot Overlord - com.marginallyclever.robotOverlord.RobotOverlord" and click OK.
- Wait while the progress bar in the bottom right fills up. This is a one time thing.
- "Errors exist...Proceed with launch?" Select Proceed.
Application should now launch.