The andromeda kernel is a system built by:
- Bart Kuivenhoven.
- Michel Megens
- Steven van der Schoot.
We built this system to expand our knowledge about operating system theories.
The Andromeda kernel is licenced as GNU General Public Licence version 3 or newer. The COPYING file should contian more information about the licence, or if it's not included, look at http://www.gnu.org/licences/.
Andromeda kernel Copyright (C) 2010-2011 - Bart Kuivenhoven, Michel Megens, Steven vd Schoot This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
The requirements to build the kernel are relatively light.
To retreive the kernel:
This kernel is free software and we welcome contributions of any form. Below is a list of possible things you could help with. Or you could just scratch your own itch, that's just fine.
- provide task switching mechanism (Mechanism)
- Make a multitasking system (Policy)
- Fork the first kernel process (Policy)
- Implement systemcalls policy (Policy)
- Make stdio go through streams (stdin, stdout, stderr) (Policy)
- Implement pipes and streams through files (Policy)
- Allow kernel to use provided memory map (Mechanism)
- enable process protection mechanism (userspace) (Mechanism)
- Make the kernel actually use the memory map (Dynamically scale heap) (Policy)
- Build process protection policy (userspace) (Policy)
- Read an initrd from Grub (Mechanism)
- Mount the initrd (Policy)
- start the firs task from initrd (Policy)