Web Development Resources
This is a list of some of the best resources for someone who is learning web development. If you know of other good resources, please send them to me so I can add to this list.
- Ruby course at Code Academy ( http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/ruby ) Online coding lessons, beginning level.
- The Well-Grounded Rubyist ( http://www.manning.com/black2/ ) Excellent book, clear explanations, comprehensive. Recommended after you have the basics down.
- Learn to Program ( https://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/ ) Intro to programming in Ruby, by Chris Pine. This short book is avaliable online.
- ** Ruby Style ** ( https://github.com/styleguide/ruby ) Excellent as a reference and a review of Ruby.
- The Ruby on Rails Tutorial ( http://www.railstutorial.org ) Michael Hartl. Introduction to Rails. Available Online ( http://www.railstutorial.org/book )
- Rails 4 in Action ( http://www.manning.com/bigg2/ )
- Agile Web Development with Rails 4 ( http://www.amazon.com/Agile-Development-Rails-Facets-Ruby/dp/1937785564 )
- Sinatra: Up and Running ( http://www.amazon.com/Sinatra-Up-Running-Alan-Harris/dp/1449304230 )
- RSpec Website ( http://rspec.info )
- RSpec with shoulda-matchers ( https://github.com/thoughtbot/shoulda )
- Rails testing ( http://everydayrails.com/2012/03/12/testing-series-intro.html ) Intro/Guide to testing in Rails called "How I learned to test my Rails applications".
Object-oriented programming (OOP)
- Objects in Ruby, Zetcode ( http://zetcode.com/lang/rubytutorial/objects/ ) Excellect overview of Objects in Ruby
- Object-oriented programming in Ruby (Part 1), Zetcode ( http://zetcode.com/lang/rubytutorial/oop/ ) Good, basic explanation.
- Object-oriented programming in Ruby (Part 2), Zetcode ( http://zetcode.com/lang/rubytutorial/oop2/ )
- Practical Object-Oriented Design in Ruby (POODR) ( http://www.poodr.com ) Amazing book. Advanced OOP and code design topics.
- Rails Routing from the Outside In ( http://guides.rubyonrails.org/routing.html ) Key reference to REST
- A Beginner's Guide to HTTP and REST ( http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/a-beginners-introduction-to-http-and-rest--net-16340 ) One of the clearest explanations of REST online.
- Getting started with CSS @ MDN ( https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Guide/CSS/Getting_started )
- CSS Positioning 101 ( http://alistapart.com/article/css-positioning-101 ) Describes all of the types of positioning and when and how to use them.
- CSS Box Model ( http://css-tricks.com/the-css-box-model/ ) Explains the box model, including how margins, paddings and borders work.
- Learn CSS Layout ( http://learnlayout.com/ ) Good intro to layout in CSS.
- Pro Git by Scott Chacon ( http://www.git-scm.com/doc ) Excellent online book - covers the basics
- tryGit ( https://www.codeschool.com/courses/try-git ) Online course - basic intro to Git
- Git Real ( https://www.codeschool.com/courses/git-real ) Online course - longer & more advanced
Regular Expressions RegEx
- RegEx and Ruby Guide ( https://www.bluebox.net/insight/blog-article/using-regular-expressions-in-ruby-part-1-of-3 )
- Rubular ( http://rubular.com )
- Learning the shell tutorial ( http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php ) Excellent beginner-level shell/bash tutorial.