I'm an economist, data scientist, Pythonista, and open-source advocate with a focus on public policy. I live in Washington, D.C.
- Co-founder and CEO of PolicyEngine. PolicyEngine is an nonprofit that provides free, open source software to computes the impact of public policy. Our tax-benefit models span the US, UK, Canada, and Nigeria, and I spend most of my time building this organization. You can see our work at github.com/PolicyEngine or use our software at policyengine.org.
- Founder and president of the UBI Center. The UBI Center is a nonprofit think tank conducting quantitative research into universal basic income policies. The UBI Center originally incubated PolicyEngine, and now it primarily applies PolicyEngine software for its research. You can see our work at github.com/UBICenter or read our reports at ubicenter.org.
- M.S., Data, Economics, and Development Policy - MIT (2020)
- B.A., Operations Research and Management Science - UC Berkeley (2008)
- Minors: Industrial Engineering & Operations Research, Music
Volunteer Community Engagement
- Leadership council member, Policy Simulation Library (September 2020 - Present)
- Board member, USBIG (November 2021 - April 2022)
- Synthetic data advisory board member, Tax Policy Center (August 2019 - Present)
- Co-founder and chair, Ventura County YIMBY (August 2019 - September 2022)
- California state coordinator, Citizens' Climate Lobby (January 2022 - September 2022)
- Organizer, Save the Gas Tax (January 2022 - June 2022)
- Legislative committee member, Greater Oxnard Organization of Democrats (November 2020 - September 2022)
- Group leader, Citizens' Climate Lobby Ventura (January 2021 - December 2021)
Skills & Interests
- Fun: Music (semi-professional saxophone, amateur guitar, piano, and singing), urbanist/pro-housing political organizing (YIMBY), climate policy, and effective altruism.