To add the torbrowser overlay, run
layman -a torbrowser or
eselect repository enable torbrowser.
www-client/torbrowser. If unsure, choose
Tor Browser Launcher is intended to make Tor Browser easier to install and use for GNU/Linux users. You install 'torbrowser-launcher' from your distribution's package manager and it handles everything else:
- Downloads and installs the most recent version of Tor Browser in your language and for your computer's architecture, or launches Tor Browser if it's already installed (Tor Browser will automatically update itself)
- Certificate pins to https://www.torproject.org, so it doesn't rely on certificate authorities
- Verifies Tor Browser's signature for you, to ensure the version you downloaded was cryptographically signed by Tor developers and was not tampered with
- Adds "Tor Browser" and "Tor Browser Launcher Settings" application launcher to your desktop environment's menu
- Optionally plays a modem sound when you open Tor Browser (because Tor is so slow)
This patched Firefox build is not recommended by Tor upstream but uses the exact same sources. Use this only if you know what you are doing!
The profile folder includes pre-configuration recommended by upstream,
as well as the extensions Torbutton, NoScript and HTTPS-Everywhere.
If you want to start from scratch just remove the directory
Torbrowser uses port
9150 to connect to Tor. You can change the port
/etc/env.d/99torbrowser to match your setup. See
for possible settings.
You can do this either with gentoo's
or on the command line.
Advanced torbutton functionality
To get the advanced functionality of Torbutton (network information,
new identity feature),
www-client/torbrowser needs to access a control port.
If you use
www-client/torbrowser, you need to adjust and export the environment variables from 99torbrowser.example. You can do this either in
/etc/env.dmechanism or on the command line.
Tor Network Settings and Check for Tor Browser Update functionality is not working with the
www-client/torbrowserand is therefore disabled.
If you use
www-client/torbrowser-launcher, make sure that the environment variables in
/etc/env.d/99torbrowserare unset and that you don't have the system wide tor running on port
www-client/torbrowser-launcher, all menu entries are available and working.
Tor Hidden Service
A hidden service of this repository is available at vivmyccb3jdb7yij.onion
git -c http.proxy=socks5h://127.0.0.1:9050 clone http://vivmyccb3jdb7yij.onion/Poncho/torbrowser-overlay.git cd torbrowser-overlay git config --add remote.origin.proxy "socks5h://127.0.0.1:9050"