PhysioFit is a scientific tool designed to i) quantify exchange (production and consumption) fluxes and ii) cell growth rate during (batch) cultivations of microorganisms. Fluxes are estimated from time-course measurements of extracellular metabolites and biomass concentrations. An important assumption is that cells are in metabolic (pseudo) steady-state. PhysioFit includes the following features:
- Calculation of growth rate and extracellular (uptake and production) fluxes.
- Lag before growth (e.g. due to adaptation to a novel environment) can be taken into account and estimated.
- Non-enzymatic degradation of some carbon sources (e.g. DHA or glutamine) can be estimated and taken into account when calculating exchange fluxes.
- Sensitivity analyses are performed to estimate the precision of the calculated fluxes.
- Evaluation of the goodness of fit and visual inspection of the fitted curves.