Application to visualize animated 3D medical data using Hololens, with shared experience. See the official webpage of Essential Vision for more detailed list of features and demo videos.
- Setup Hololens with Windows Device Portal enabled: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot-core/manage-your-device/deviceportal
- Install Essential Vision application on Hololens (use relasese versions: https://github.com/MicroscopeIT/holo/releases) Application instalation: https://docs.microsoft.com/pl-pl/hololens/holographic-custom-apps
IMPORTANT If you got .NET CoreRuntime invalid or missing version error please install application with additional dependencies. To do this select option: Allow me to select framework packages, and in next step select the Microsoft.NET.CoreRuntime.1.1.appx file from release archive (Dependencies -> x86).
Convert your input models into Asset Bundles.
You can import models as a series of VTK models. The input format specification is here. Example VTK model is inside
Test Modelsubdirectory there. This is the advised format, that supports animation using blend shapes.
Or you can import models with each layer loaded from Unity assets (so it can be .obj, .prefab or any other model format supported by Unity). Example is inside
unity/Holo/Assets/Test Models/Skull/in this repository.
Upload AssetBundles with models into Hololens headset
Converting VTK model series into Asset Bundles
Open Unity project from unity/Holo.
- Run script: Holo -> Convert VTK model to an AssetBundle's GameObject
- Choose the directory with model time series in VTK files
- Your resulting AssetBundle is located in /unity/Holo/Assets/StreamingAssets/_bundle(.manifest)
Uploading AssetBundles to Hololens headset
- Go to Windows Device Portal of Hololens headset
- Go to System -> File Explorer
- Navigate to: User Folders \ LocalAppData \ EssentialVision_184.108.40.206_x86__<hash/crc> \ LocalState
- Upload Asset Bundle files (_bundle along with _bundle.manifet) in to LocalState directory one by one with the Upload button (first you need to select file from hard drive, you can drag and drop it as well)
After starting the application, choose the "Shared Experience" mode in the UI:
Click the "Start Session" button to be the server (like a teacher in the classroom) that dictates the view of other participants.
Or choose a session name (corresponding to your Hololens name) and then click "Join Session" to be the student (observing what teacher sets).
Or choose "Offline Mode" to test the application on your own, without being any server or client. The effect in principle looks similar to clicking "Start Session", but the application doesn't listen on any port, doesn't synchronize anything etc.
Teacher can then choose a model, choose layers to display inside, transform it and so on.
Note that currently the application loads only AssetBundles uploaded to Hololens headset. Models must be uploaded before application is run (rescanning of the collection's models is not yet implemented).
IMPORTANT: If you upload new models, the application must be closed. For the moment you need to run other application for the system to unload completly Essential Vision application.
Developing in Unity
Unity project is located in
To see initial model please load AnimatedModels scene located in Assets/Scenes.