MIM Configuration Documenter
MIM configuration documenter is a tool to generate documentation of a MIM / FIM synchronization or service installation.
The goal of this project is to:
- Document deployment configuration details for the MIM / FIM solution!
- Track any configuration changes you have made since a specific baseline!!
- Build confidence in getting things right when making changes to the deployed solution!!
- .NET Framework 4.5 to be able to run the tool.
- FIMAutomation PowerShell snap-in installed locally when generating report for FIMService config.
- A modern browser (e.g. Microsoft Edge) to view the report.
How to use the tool:
- Download the latest release MIMConfigDocumenter.zip from the releases tab under the Code tab tab, UNBLOCK the downloaded zip file and extract the zip file to an empty local folder.
- This will extract the Documenter application binaries along with the sample data files for "Contoso".
- Make sure that the tool runs by running the PowerShell script InvokeDocumenter-Contoso.ps1.
- Export the FIM Sync Server and FIM Service Configuration of your two environments: PILOT / TARGET / END-STATE environment and PRODUCTION / BASELINE / REFERENCE environment.
- FIM Sync Server configuration is exported using File | Export Server Configuration menu in the FIM Sync Admin console.
- FIM Service configuration is exported using the ExportSchema.ps1 and ExportPolicy.ps1 scripts.
- If you have configuration files for only one enviorment, you can use any one set of the FIM or MIM config files provided with the tool as your PRODUCTION / BASELINE / REFERENCE environment.
- Copy the configuration export files produced in the previous step to SyncConfig and ServiceConfig folders under the "Data" directory of the Documenter tool.
- As an example, the "Pilot" configuration files for the customer "Contoso" are provided as a sample in the "Data\Contoso\Pilot\SyncConfig" and "Data\Contoso\Pilot\ServiceConfig" folders.
- NOTE: The names of the FIM Service schema and policy export files must be schema.xml and policy.xml respectively.
- Make a copy of the InvokeDocumenter-Contoso.ps1 script, name is appropriately and then open and edit the new script using the instructions provided in the script.
- Run your script to generate the documentation report of your configuration exports. Upon successful execution, the report will be placed in the "Report" folder.