Shows how to use Windows.Media.Ocr API. Optical character recognition (OCR) API allows for application developer to extract text in the specific language from an image.
Note: This sample is part of a large collection of UWP feature samples. If you are unfamiliar with Git and GitHub, you can download the entire collection as a ZIP file, but be sure to unzip everything to access shared dependencies. For more info on working with the ZIP file, the samples collection, and GitHub, see Get the UWP samples from GitHub. For more samples, see the Samples portal on the Windows Dev Center.
This sample covers:
Scenario 1: Load image from a file and extract text in user specified language.
- Determine whether any language is OCR supported on device.
- Get list of all available OCR languages on device.
- Create OCR recognizer for specific language.
- Create OCR recognizer for the first OCR supported language from GlobalizationPreferences.Languages list.
- Load image from a file and extract text.
- Overlay word bounding boxes over displayed image.
- Differentiate vertical and horizontal text lines.
Scenario 2: Capture image from camera and extract text.
- Check if specific language is available on device.
- Capture image from camera and extract text.
- Overlay word bounding boxes and recognized text over displayed image.
Client: Windows 10
Server: Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview
Phone: Windows 10
Build the sample
- If you download the samples ZIP, be sure to unzip the entire archive, not just the folder with the sample you want to build.
- Start Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 and select File > Open > Project/Solution.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+B, or select Build > Build Solution.
Run the sample
The next steps depend on whether you just want to deploy the sample or you want to both deploy and run it.
Deploying the sample:
- Select Build > Deploy Solution.
Deploying and running the sample:
- To debug the sample and then run it, press F5 or select Debug > Start Debugging. To run the sample without debugging, press Ctrl+F5 or select Debug > Start Without Debugging.