Proximity sensor sample
Shows how to use the Windows.Devices.Sensors.ProximitySensor API.
Note: This sample is part of a large collection of UWP feature samples. If you are unfamiliar with Git and GitHub, you can download the entire collection as a ZIP file, but be sure to unzip everything to access shared dependencies. For more info on working with the ZIP file, the samples collection, and GitHub, see Get the UWP samples from GitHub. For more samples, see the Samples portal on the Windows Dev Center.
This sample allows the user to view the proximity detection reading as a boolean value. It includes the following scenarios:
- Proximity sensor data events
- Polling proximity sensor readings
- Proximity Monitoring to Turn the Display On or Off
- Background Proximity Sensor
Proximity Sensor Data Events
When you choose the Enable button for the Data Events option, the app will begin displaying proximity sensor detection readings in real time.
Polling Proximity Sensor Readings
When you choose the Get Data button for the Polling option, the app will retrieve the current sensor readings.
Proximity Monitoring to Turn the Display On or Off
When you choose the Enable button for the Display On/Off option, the app will request the system to monitor the proximity sensor detection state to automatically turn the display on or off.
Background Proximity Sensor
This demonstrates using a Proximity sensor's state as a background trigger. When you click the 'Register Task' button, an available proximity sensor will be used to register for notifications in the change of proximity. When a change in the proximity is detected by the sensor, the registered background task gets fired. Proximity Sensor readings are then retrieved from the trigger to update the scenario UI.
Client: Windows 10
Server: Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview
Phone: Windows 10
Build the sample
- If you download the samples ZIP, be sure to unzip the entire archive, not just the folder with the sample you want to build.
- Start Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 and select File > Open > Project/Solution.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+B, or select Build > Build Solution.
Run the sample
The next steps depend on whether you just want to deploy the sample or you want to both deploy and run it.
Deploying the sample
- Select Build > Deploy Solution.
Deploying and running the sample
- To debug the sample and then run it, press F5 or select Debug > Start Debugging. To run the sample without debugging, press Ctrl+F5 or selectDebug > Start Without Debugging.