References Editor Sample
This is a sample extension that shows how an editor-based representation for the Find References feature can be build.
It is not intended as a product quality extension.
- Select a symbol
F1 > Show All References
- An editor opens to the side and show the references in a textual form
How it works, what it shows?
- The extension implements and registers a
TextDocumentContentProviderfor a particular URI scheme.
- The content provider uses the
vscode.executeReferenceProvider-API command to delegate searching for references to the language extensions, like TypeScript, vscode-go, or C#
- The generated document initially contains a caption only and incrementally updates as each reference location is resolved.
- Add links for each result in the virtual document pointing to the reference.
- Add an entry to editor context menu via
How to run locally
npm run compileto start the compiler in watch mode
- open this folder in VS Code and press