Various DIY modules made by Rich Jones for use with VCV Rack 0.6.3 and 1.1.0+.
- New Stuff!
- Future Plans
- Related Projects
Gluten Free is an STK-based granulator. It makes horrible, horrible noises. It has six knobs, all of which you can play with. It works best if you load short files and turn the voices up. I wanted to add a V/Oct controller but couldn't figure out how to do that with the framework - want to help?
It's a wild beast, but with enough twiddling, you can tame it and it sounds fucking awesome.
Mega Divider is a 1:64 clock divider! Also includes two 'multi' divisions, which will generate signals when either of the two divisions are active.
Gaussian is a normal distribution generator! It has 9 trigger outputs, which will turn on randomly when ever a trigger signal or a button press is received, based on the distribution illustrated by the left-hand column of lights, which can be controlled using the Mu and Sigma knobs.
Instro is a multi-instrument voice generator using the "STK" voices. Uses a variety of different algorithms for different instruments, including FM synthesis and an enhanced Karplus-Strong algorithm.
There is a "gate" input which is required for the plucked instruments (guitar, mandolin, etc.), and there are four different parameter controls for each instrument. Finally, there is a simple wave based drum sampler.
Chorus is a simple 3HP chorus effect with CV-adjustable delay time, frequency and depth.
Chorus is the first of a few modules based on the "STK" synthesis library.
Octo is a bespokely tuned voltage source for organic modulation.
It provides eight phasing waves (0-5v) ranging from quite fast to incredibly slow. There's an integrated attenuvertet so that you can generate complex, self-modifying oscillations.
It also functions as a track-and-hold, as it will sustain the current output values while a -5 attenuated CV input is given, which can be used to create cool stepping effects.
Additionally, in the right click menu, there are multiple waveform types. Square waves can be used to generate random gate/clock signals, which is fun too.
The module is also quite efficient and doesn't use very much CPU considering the number of outputs it has!
Octo is inspired by DivKid's ''Ochd'', which you should buy for your hardware modular.
Euclidian uses ancient math and nuclear physics to generate tribal rhythms. It's based on this paper: http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/publications/banff.pdf. Cool! The right click menu provides a bunch of world rhythms out of the box.
Video/audio demo here.
Left Hand Right Hand
Left Hand Right Hand is kind of a strange expierment. It's a MIDI input device with a "split" knob that allows you two divide your MIDI instrument into two separate signal paths. This lets you play separate voices on your left and right hands on a single MIDI keyboard. An experiment, feedback welcome.
Ping Pong is a clock-synced ping pong delay. Includes dotted and triplet time signatures, a "nudge" knob for making slightly-off delays, and a 0-200% feedback mode which allows you to create amazing - but dangerout - feedback swells.
MutateSeq / Notes / Sequential
MutateSeq lets you build a sequence that mutates over time. Can lock notes and change rate of mutation. Notes and Sequential work together to build a simple sequencer with different step modes. Can change mode and size of step.
Dry // Wet
"This thing is amaze-balls!! Been messing around with it for about 3 hours didn't even feel the time pass. Acid goodness
ACID is my take on the legendary TB-303. It features two independent multi-waveform VCOs and mixer, wavetables from the actual 303, an integrated envelope generator, a powerful filter, and a pluck circuit!
Experiment with this and you'll find yourself making some of the craziest, squelchiest acid the world has ever heard!
Oh, and there's also a hidden feature - see if you can find it!
EssEff is a SoundFont (sf2) player! Comes with a few free soundfonts and the button lets you load more.
Also has a shape wheel for mixing the sin/saw shape, and has knobs for offset and inversion. All parameters are voltage controllable!
It's a bit crusher! Accepts control voltage, and sets a (voltage controlled) minimum bit depth for fine tuning.
Generates three random values. The range of the values can be controlled via CV, but will default to (-12, +12) if CV values are empty/equal.
Left Right Mixer
uQuant is a very skinny micro quantizer. Includes key, scale, octave, transpose, trigger and output.
You can get some weird polyrhythmic stuff by putting an LFO on the CV, which gives a variable BPM. Even weirder if you start using a bunch!
They're arranged a drum pad, so it's fun and easy to make a playable drum pad simulator by building a circuit like this:
None of them actually exist yet, but I'm hoping this will project eventually contain:
- FFTTuner - FFT / Tuner
VCDryWet - A simple dry/wet mixer
- DubEcho - Two delays and a spring.
Ping Pong Delay (or maybe just a delay with seperate dry/wet outs that can feed to the panner?)
- Vocoder, maybe?
- Dedicated 808/kick circuit with click
- Reverb - It's a reverb!
- Phaser - Pssshheeeeeooooooowwwwwwoooowowwaaaaaahhhhhh
- Harmonic Saturator
- Ring Modulator
- Shepard Tone Generator
- BPM LFO - LFO with integrated divisible BPM (including triplets), for triplet wubs
- Wobbler - Selectable classic wobble automation shapes
- 3xOSC - The classic, RJ style
- MIDI Recorder - record MIDI notes to a MIDI file
- Wubber - Integrated LCA + LFO with adjustable pulse width and clock divider
Memory - Record a signal to a buffer, loop/trigger it back. Integrated knob. 4 banks.
- XYFX - Kaos Pad-inspired multi-FX rack.
- OscPhrase - Phrase generation based on a slow LFO
- LFOArp - Arp with LFO for controlling speed
- Band Splitter - Split into L/M/H bands
- Cycle Gate - Only allow through a controlable number of cycles. Ex, if set to 3, allows 3 cycles of wave (until a value repeats) until the signal is gated.
- Keyboard Keyboard - Keyboard that allows you to send CV with the computer keyboard in the same configuration as the one in Ableton.
- Kielbasa Thickener - Sausage Fattener clone
- Divide Delay - Delay with an integrated clock divider. Also has an integrated send/return for the wet signal.
- Mixixix - 4 channel mixer with send/return chains and integrated sidechain.
- Shitty - Makes a signal sound shitty. Lofi. So hot right now.
- Loop Station - 8 track loop station clone. Integrated Trim.
- The Beast - Chord, Arp, 3xLFO+Filter, Sync, ADSR, VCO, Quantizer, Keyboard, Master Out. All in one panel.
- Feedback - Self-feeding reverb. Size, decay, damp, mix, drive, bypass.
- DJ Suite: Player, Mixer, Library
- 42VCO: 4xOSC -> 2 Mix -> 1 Mix
- Reese! (2 saws with independent LFP, mixed into a notch filter and overdrive before final LPF)
VOCTFILT - Filter where the cutoff maps to v/oct
- That Fucking Wub - That fucking FM wubber!
- Pedalboard - Send/return bypass buttons for various effects, to simulate the utility of a guitar's pedalboard. Maybe add dry wets for fun.
- Fretboard - 'Quantum' for people who play the guitar, not the piano..
- Counters - 4x counters that trigger in/out (for structuring tracks)
SeqUFD clone Trigger Switch
- Ghetto Pog - Bootleg of EHX POG module
Playable Chord - turn a note into a chord! Brick Wall Limiter
- Multi-Tap Delay (lol that super expensive digital one) - dry//75/150/225/300/375/450/525/600 + [.1x:2x] modifier, individual outputs + mixed, pingpong, odd/even outs, feedback
- Smooth MIDI Map - MIDI Map where knob movements are tweened to avoid stepping. Also, pages.
- Progress - Progression generator that works with PlayableChord. Knobs for four-chord progression, (
I, IV, I, Vform). Presets. Clock in, "clock every".
MIDI Octave Splitter- So you can play left hand notes on one voice, and right hand notes on another voice.
- Dual Bidirectional Stereo<->Poly converter
Euclidian rhythm generator- Knobs for E(X, Y) + I. Presets for Bossa, etc LF8 - Compact, 8-independent triangle LFOs, inspired by ochd Gaussian - 1 input, 9 outputs, 1 'max' knob - (can maybe re-use Octo) - using
Mega Divider - 1-128 clock dividers.
- Webcam - Webcam theramin ala Vorso
- ComplexVCO - VCO with more complex, parameterized wave functions
- DTMF - Dial Tones, baby!
- BBDVerb - based on this design
- Pitch Echo - Echo/delay designed for V/Oct signals, each echo adds 1oct (default), etc
- RJXY - XY Pad with v/oct notes, X/Y/Start/End/Hold/Passthrough
- Shelf - Duah high/low shelf, taken from MaxMind
- RandomLFO - Wobbly, random LFO
- Orbit - 2D-Three Body Problem CV generator. Wrap-around universe.
- Kink - Kick drum module inspired by the 0x0x0 BDSM bareback kick. 3 envs (initial, main, amp), 2 waveform selectable oscillators, mix envelope selector (initial, main, amp, none), offset for 'click', maaaybe a wave folder and shelf filter.
- RJAuxpander - Auxpander, but with 8 send-returns and CV controlability.
- Slow Noise - White noise, but a lot slower.
- Pure Ruiner - Pura Ruina clone. Black.
- Boost - 3HP amplifier with attenuverted CV (so it can boost and sidechain). Switches to -5/5v, 0-10v limit.
- Gravity Slew (Black Hole?) - A physics-based slew limiter slash envelope generator. Slew carries mometum, overshoots and oscillates around a target. Speed, momentum, friction, gravity knobs. Black.
- Spread Filter - Supersaw-esque, but for filter peaks
- Subharmonium - Subharmonic Oscillator (based on that PDF)
- Riff Looper - Loop + FX Recorder (Shadesium)
- 9 Band White Noise Generator
- Effect Delay (Send/Return + BP, clock synced)
- State-Variable Wavefolder/Metalizer
Steps since 0.6.0 (Mac):
- Download and install Rack to
- Download the Rack SDK
- Clone this repo
RACK_DIR=~/Downloads/Rack-SDK/ make dist
mkdir -p /Applications/Rack.app/Contents/Resources/plugins
copy -r dist RJModules /Applications/Rack.app/Contents/Resources/RJModules
(c) Rich Jones 2017, BSD.