MarkLaR is a FOSS text editor for Markdown, which is a plain text markup format created by John Gruber and Aaron Swartz. For more information about Markdown, please visit John Gruber’s website. MarkLaR started as a fork of ghostwriter and is furthermore inspired by MarkRight.
- Syntax highlighting of Markdown
- Navigation of document headings
- An easily toggled and frequently updated HTML preview
- Full-screen mode
- Use of custom CSS style sheets for HTML preview and printing to file or paper
- Style sheets included for GitHub, diaspora* and Loomio
- A Live word count
- Two built-in editor themes, one dark and one light
- Image URL insertion via dragging and dropping an image file into the editor
- Spell checking with Hunspell
- Sundown processor built in for preview and export to HTML
- Single window layout
- Add table generator
- Add Emoji support
- Save last used style sheet choice for recent files
- Add ability to switch between editing .css and .md
- Add StackExchange to built-in style sheets
To build from the source code, you will need either Qt 4.8 or Qt 5, available from http://www.qt.io/ if you are on Mac OS X, or in your Linux distribution's repository. This documentation assumes you already have the source code unzipped in a folder.
Before proceeding, ensure that you have the following packages installed for Qt 5:
Next, open a terminal window, and enter the following commands:
$ cd <your_MarkLaR_folder_location> $ qmake $ make $ make install
The last command will install MarkLaR on your machine. If you need to install the application in an alternative location to
/usr/local, enter the following command in lieu of the second command above, passing in the desired value for
$ qmake PREFIX=<your_install_path_here>
For example, to install under
/opt, you would enter:
$ qmake PREFIX=/opt
Mac OS X
Install homebrew. In a terminal:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
$ brew install qt qt5 $ qmake -spec macx-g++ $ make
If you see:
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
Make sure you're cloned the repo, not just downloaded the src tarball.
If you want MarkLaR in your applications folder, from the repo root do:
$ sudo cp ./build/release/marklar.app /Applications
To use MarkLaR from the command line (assuming
/usr/local/bin is in your path and you've moved MarkLaR to the
$ sudo ln -s /Applications/MarkLaR.app/Contents/MacOS/MarkLaR /usr/local/bin
Command Line Usage
For terminal users, MarkLaR can be run from the command line. In your terminal window, simply type the following:
$ marklar myfile.md
myfile.md is the path to your Markdown text file.
The source code for MarkLaR is licensed under the GNU General Public License Version 3. However, various icons and third-party FOSS code (i.e., Hunspell and Sundown) have different licenses compatible with GPLv3. Please read the COPYING files in the respective folders for the different licenses.