QGIS PlugIn to load and display Open Data from CKAN enabled data portals.
Sponsored by Amt der Kärntner Landesregierung - KAGIS
This plugin has been tested with various CKAN servers (API v3 supported only), but we soon came to realize that each data portal implements its very own strategy for structuring metadata.
It is very likely that data from some servers cannot be browsed or downloaded!
References for the time being are:
Pull requests that make such servers accessible (and don't break others) are welcome!
Plugins -> Manage and Install Plugins -> Search: CKAN-Browser -> Install plugin
Download CKANBrowser.zip and extract to
git clone https://github.com/BergWerkGIS/QGIS-CKAN-Browser.git cd QGIS-CKAN-Browser/CKAN-Browser make clean make derase make deploy
After successful install there is a new toolbar available (click on
- Select a local directory where downloaded data will be cached
- Choose a pre-configured CKAN Server
Applyto copy selected CKAN Server URL to
- Leave URL as is or enter your own
- Check if connection is possible
Savesettings and close
Open Data (CKAN) Browser
- Enter your search term and press
<ENTER>or click on
- Search: query server with search term
- List of data sets found, click to get more details in
- Description of selected data set (if supported by server)
- Resources associated with selected data set (if supported by server)
- Click on resource to see resource URL
7and copy to clipboard in case automatic download does not work
- Check resource (or several, if supported by server) to select for download
Load Datato download the selected resources and automatically open them
- Download URL of selected resource. Handy to copy and try the link in a browser if the download does not work, e.g.: some resources link to HTML or 404 pages
- List of categories/groups available at the selected CKAN server (if supported by server)
- Check to limit your search to one or several group(s).
- Double click on a group to get all data sets associated with that group
- List all data available sets