News apps template
Clone this repository and run:
python setup.py install
It will install PasteScript, Cheetah and Fabric. So you may want to create a new virtualenv.
Once installed, run:
paster create --template=newsapps_project example_project
The newsapps_project template is very similar to django_project. Major differences include:
- A much larger fabric deployment script with a bunch of goodies
- Removed and refactored config directories. There are now dirs for production, staging and common.
- Tightly integrated with Chicago Tribune’s News apps Amazon EC2 Image (ami-ff17fb96 on us-east)
- Removed CruiseControl stuff.
- Added a ‘manage’ script in the project root to make management commands accessible.
This project contains templates for creating a new Django project. It’s like running django-admin.py startproject but it creates a more complete application skeleton.
All you need to do is install the package from PyPi like so:
python easy_install django-project-templates
And then creating a project skeleton is as simple as:
paster create --template=django_project example_project
For bonus points you should probably be running this inside a virtualenv.
Note that this project skeleton is still in flux. It definitely contains some things that are personal preference but it hopefully makes up for it with useful tools like a reasonably complete fabric based deployment setup and configs for CruiseControl. And yes, more documentation would be nice.