Awesome WordPress Developer Tips
Curated list that contain very awesome and ready code, snippets or examples without libraries or external packages made it for developers.
This list is born from a real workflow in my development in WordPress, sometimes you don't need or not exist a library that do a specific stuff very well with a real case to study.
When i need something like that I search for other plugins that do that stuff to study and replicate, better if possible. For that reason I remember many plugins what they do and I search for recreate the same UX/UI. This list infact contain reference to plugins or docs but not to tutorials.
In this way is possible see in action, also the workaround used, and more important a case study.
In few words this is a list for skilled WordPress developers that want a simple way to found specific code (in the mainly case how use a specific hook).
PS: Part * is used because sometimes the code is splitted (maybe an hook declaration and a function).
PSS: Sometimes the code can be in the wrong line because the line is changed, search in the linked page or open a ticket to fix that list.
Table of Contents
- Add backend/frontend fields in comments - Code from DaTask plugin: Part 1
- Add Screen Option in contextual tabs - Code from DaTask plugin: Part 1, Part 2
- Add links to Plugin in Plugin list - Code from DaTask plugin: Part 1, Part 2
- Add links to User in User list with action - Code from DaTask plugin: Part 1
- Add link in menu top bar - Code from WP Find Function plugin: Part 1, Part 2
- Add custom post type in search box - Code from WordPress Plugin Boilerplate Powered: Part 1, Part 2
- Add custom post type in Activity Dashboard widget - Code from WordPress Plugin Boilerplate Powered: Part 1, Part 2
- Add thumbnail in post type list in backend - Code from Ubik-Admin - Part1
- Detect the page in backend - Code from AdRotate Extra Settings plugin: Part 1
- Sort Taxonomy by taxonomy terms - By Scribu: Snippet
- Nonce for guest user - By Mte90: Snippet
- Transient example with external request - By Mte90: Snippet
- Show post thumbnails in RSS Feed - By Bobeta: Snippet
- Edit Dashboard Footer Admin Text - Code from DigitalDesigner: Snippet
- Edit Dashboard Howdy Text - Code from DigitalDesigner: Snippet
- Simple way to get a single post’s taxonomy - By dmpinder: Article
- AJAX request for non-logged user
wp ajax nopriv_(action)
- AJAX request for logged user
wp_send_json_error()for standard JSON request in AJAX request.
JSON REST API official
- Add meta field on v1 and v2 in readonly - Code from DaTask plugin: Part 1
- Extend WP Rest API v2 - Demo Plugin by Pete Nelson
- Rename custom meta name - SQL Query by Tom Waters: Command
- Optimizing wp_options for Speed - Article by Pressjitsu: Article
- Life of a Front-end WordPress Request - Article by Roots: Article
- 10 WordPress Things I’ve learned working with 10up - Article by Rachie Vee: Article
- WordPress for the adventurous: WP_Query class - Article by Carl Alexander: Article
- Practical Guide to GDPR compliance for WordPress plugin & theme developers.
- Generate an HTML table from an array - By Mte90: Snippet
- Create a simple Sandbox Server for safe 'real-world' testing with DigitalOcean's One-Click Apps - Article by DigitalOcean : One Click Wordpress Install
- Updating multiple WooCommerce variant product shipping classes at once with SQL - By dmpinder: Article
- How to add GDPR support on your custom WooCommerce plugin
- WordPress Plugin Boilerplate Powered - External useful resources
- Guide to build a better custom wordpress search including custom post types - Guide by WPMUDEV : Build your own search
To the extent possible under law, Daniele Scasciafratte has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.