Realtime Code Collaboration Plugin v1.0.0 (alpha)
This is plugin for Microsoft Visual Studio Code which enables real-time collaboration of files.
Github link for UI : https://github.com/THE-WIRE/web-rt (The development of this is still on!)
- Real time code collaboration with team members
- Can create teams using a seperate web interface
Install the following using npm
- Typescript - npm install -g typescript
- Firebase - npm install firebase
How to Install
First Download the project or clone
git clone <github-repo-url>
Now open the project in VS Code Editor
Navigate to extension.ts file
Now to run the extension -
Press CTRL + F5 to Run the extension.ts
A new window will open with the extension loaded
Open any project file to collaborate
To start the collaboration use CTRL + SHIFT + P Write `start wire` in that extension loading box. then, A new dialog box will open at the top to get the username and then the password
For testing purpose we have created two usernames and passwords 1. Username - email@example.com Password - rootuser 2. Username - firstname.lastname@example.org Password - rootuser Feel free to use them and give it a try
Wait for the login till you get a dialog box saying 'You have logged in as email@example.com'
Once you get this, you are done! You are collaborating
Note - If you want to collaborate, both the systems must have logged in and also the file name and its extension must be the same
- Aplications to this system can be numerous. Few of the applications are listed below:
- Real time code collaboration for programmers with their favourite code editor for their comfort
- A real time code collaboration team viewer system
- For online tutors to share and help other students to debug their code
- This can also be used for the purpose of interviews during the technical round to test the students with their coding skills
- And many more ...
- Currently the extension uses firebase. We plan to convert it to websockets.
- To make it more fast and reliable, the local server code hosting feature is to be added. It will also increase code security.
- More ideas are invited...
We will be publishing our package on VS Code Extensions Market soon