Back to Projects List
Fetal Brain Segmentation and Volumization
- Estee Goldberg (Biomedical Engineering, Western University)
- Denis Kikinov (Software Engineering, Western University)
- Wenyao Xia (Medical Biophysics, Robarts Research Institute)
This will be a tool to segment the fetal brain from the a fetal MRI. Afterwards the fetal brain will be compiled into a brain volume for later comparisons.
- Take any fetal MRI image
- Semiautomatically segment the fetal brain
- Semiautomatically produce a brain volume for the segmented brain
Approach and Plan
- Take fetal MRI images.
- Segment the brain.
- Create a model from the segmentation.
- Compute the volume of the brain.
Progress and Next Steps
After some search we found no automatic modules or extensions that work for fetal MRIs. As such we have experimented with ways to manually segment and get a volume. We had some success with segment editor's semiautomatic segmentation, just a lot of corrections were required.
Implement program as a module in 3D Slicer.