Backend scripts for PaleBlueDot
These are necessary, because the epic server from Nasa is too slow:
- for serving out the daily json files,
- for serving the image files if you are not close to the server.
We solve these issues by:
- recompressing the image files,
- sharing them on a maxcdn push zone,
- putting all the relevant json information in one big json file, instead of daily.
To install these scripts on a server, we had to:
cd ~ mkdir nasa cd nasa # upload all files from this directory to this new nasa directory mkdir cdn image-day-done nasajsons nasajsons-fixed tmp upload-day-done echo >.sshpw SSHPASS=<maxcdn password comes here> crontab -e 11 19 * * * cd ~/nasa && ./daily.sh