Primate Life Histories Database
Primate Life Histories is an online database project with database and web interface to archive, manage, search and download individual-based life history data that have been collected from wild primate populations.
check out source code to a desired location
Install required jar files (see Technology)
Create a postgresql database by running the sql scripts under the src/db.sql folder in the folliwng order
- create tables, including:
- plhdb.ddl.sql: create major tables to hold scientific data
- plhdb.audit.sql: create table to store audit information
- plhdb.auth.sql: create auth schema with tables to store user and authentication and authorization information
- create views: plhdb.views.sql
- install the SQL procedural language if it is not already
CREATE LANGUAGE plpgsql;
- create table: plhdb.bulkimp.sql: tables for bulk data import
- create functions:plhdb.funcs.sql
- create rules: plhdb.rules.sql
- initialize data: import cvterm data in the file
src/db/data/event_types.txtwith term relationship defined in
- create tables, including:
Create a user with access to the database
Compile java classes and generate web application war file. The web-application is built using Apache Ant. You must have ant installed in order to build it.
Properties need to be specified with the '-D' option:
project.version: the application version
hibernate.database: the hibernate database URL
hibernate.username: the hibernate database user name
hibernate.password: the hibernate database password
Use the database user account you created in step 4.
Copy the war file generated in step 5 to Tomcat or Jboss deploy folder
Start Tomcat (restart is not necessary for Jboss)
The web application should be visible now at http://your.domain.name:8080/plhdb
- Database: PostgreSQL 8.3
- Database ORM : Hibernate
- Programming Language: java
- Web Framework: Spring
- Other Libraries:
- c3p0 Database Connection Pooling
- Concept, content, and scientific requirements: the Evolutionary Ecology of Primate Life Histories Working Group, Susan C Alberts (Duke University, PI), Karen B Strier (University of Wisconsin-Madison, PI).
- Database and application programming: Xianhua Liu (NESCent), Hilmar Lapp (NESCent).
How to Cite
If you use this code or parts of it, please cite the following publication:
Strier, K. B., Altmann, J., Brockman, D. K., Bronikowski, A. M., Cords, M., Fedigan, L. M., Lapp, H., Liu, X., Morris, W. F., Pusey, A. E., Stoinski, T. S., and Alberts, S. C. "The Primate Life History Database: A Unique Shared Ecological Data Resource". Methods in Ecology and Evolution 1, no. 2 (2010): 199–211. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.2041-210X.2010.00023.x
This software is released under the GPL v3 license (see included LICENSE).
Primate Life Histories Database Copyright (C) 2007-2015 Hilmar Lapp, Xianhua Liu
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.