The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has released EnergyPlus version 8.2.0, the first release of EnergyPlus built on C++ source code. New feature highlights are listed below. For more information about EnergyPlus, please visit www.energyplus.gov.
This is Update 1 of EnergyPlus version 8.2.0 which includes important bug fixes, including a fix for incorrect data in tabular sqlite database outputs. A full list of addressed issues is included with the installer package.
Highlights of this release (V8.2.0)
Core Changes to EnergyPlus
- Internal simulation engine code translated from FORTRAN to C++ to spur the evolution of EnergyPlus through improved interaction with a larger community through a more popular code base, and improved access to code libraries for performance and enhanced capabilities.
- Language change initially caused a slightly slower codebase due to translation overhead, however several restructuring efforts in the code eventually led to EnergyPlus v8.2 being faster than v8.1 in many tests cases.
- Development transitioned to GitHub, where the source code is to be made fully public in the spirit of the open source license.
- Bug fixes throughout.
- Integrated slab calculation now allow improved simulation of ground heat transfer
HVAC, Plant and Refrigeration
- Improved sizing algorithm for including fan heat in cooling coil calculations
- Improved sizing input options for scaling autosized values
- Additional plant load dispatch algorithms based on meeting component part-loading targets
- New models for single-sided natural ventilation with multiple openings
- New on/off fan option for unit heater and unit ventilator
- New fault model for coil fouling
- DOAS direct to zonal water-to-air heat pumps
- Expanded support for table lookup for plant equipment performance
- New zone air mass flow balance option (partially link HVAC flows with zone mixing and infiltration)
- Ice storage curve-fit tool
- Windows 7 & 8: 64-bit version (32-bit version also available)
- Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 and compatible) 64 bit versions; (32-bit and RHEL-compatible versions may be available via Helpdesk)
- Mac OSX 10.9 64 bit versions
- EnergyPlus v8.2.0 has been tested on all of these platforms