Release Notes - 11/20/2019
This is a pre-release of both OpenStudio SDK v3.0.0-pre1 and OpenStudio Application (GUI) v1.0.0-pre1 developed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Buildings and Thermal Systems, Commercial Buildings Research Group, Tools Development Section, and associated collaborators.
This pre-release marks the first installment of the separated OpenStudio SDK from the Application. Going forward, once OpenStudio SDK v3.0.0 is officially released (mid-April 2020), the SDK and Application will be distributed as separate applications and will be released on different schedules.
Below is a list of components that will be included in each respective installer:
OpenStudio SDK 3.0.0-pre1
- Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Ruby API
OpenStudio Application 1.0.0-pre1
- OpenStudio Application (GUI)
- Application Resources
- Command Line Interface (CLI)
OpenStudio SDK 3.0.0-pre1 and OpenStudio Application v1.0.0-pre1 are supported on 64-bit Windows 7 – 10, OS X 10.12 – 10.14, and Ubuntu 18.04.
Both the SDK 3.0.0-pre1 and Application v1.0.0-pre1 support EnergyPlus Release 9.2, which is bundled with the installers. It is no longer necessary to download and install EnergyPlus separately. Other builds of EnergyPlus are not supported.
Both support Radiance 5.0.a.12, which is bundled with the installers; users no longer must install Radiance separately, and OpenStudio will use the included Radiance version regardless of any other versions that may be installed on the system. Other builds of Radiance are not supported.
- Download and install OpenStudio SDK and/or Application depending on your needs. Select components for installation. Note that OpenStudio Application is a standalone app and does not require you to install OpenStudio SDK.
- Setup a Building Component Library (BCL) account to access online building components and measures. View instructions on how to setup your account and configure the key in OpenStudio.
- The OpenStudio Application SketchUp Plug-in requires SketchUp 2019 (not available for Linux). The OpenStudio Application SketchUp Plug-in does not support older versions of SketchUp. SketchUp must be installed before OpenStudio Application to automatically activate the plugin. If you install SketchUp after OpenStudio Application, simply rerun the OpenStudio Application installer.
For help with common installation problems please visit, http://nrel.github.io/OpenStudio-user- documentation/help/troubleshooting/.
You can follow announcements related to future development of the OpenStudio Application, which is available at: https://www.openstudio.net/new-future-for-openstudio-application. Please send any questions, comments, or concerns to OpenStudio@nrel.gov and we will try our best to address them.
Note that this pre-release includes all of the same features included in the 2.9.0 release. Please review the 2.9.0 release notes for information on new features, performance improvements, and bug fixes. It does not contain any new features and/or bug fixes. The official release scheduled for April 2020 will contain new features, improvements and bug fixes.