Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Clone this wiki locally
xlsh - eXtended Login Shell
(c) 2011 Michał Siejak
A simple login shell with readline functionality and PAM integration.
- When run stand-alone on a virtual console it can replace standard "login" program.
- When run in cooperation with X daemon component (xlshd) it can replace XDM/GDM/KDM.
- Small and simple, written entirely in C.
- Easily hackable because of compact codebase (~1000 source lines).
- Uses PAM for authorization and session management.
- Ability to select non-default shell/window manager during logon.
- Entirely keyboard driven display manager replacement (when used with xlshd) without the need for any fat libraries or GUI toolkits.
- Defaults configured before compilation, some of them can be changed by setting few environment variables.
- Single shell script file for customizing how xlshd launches xlsh.
- Introduces a concept of "pre-login shell" known from GNU/HURD.
- Only three important commands: 'login', 'reboot' and 'shutdown'.
- New commands can be easily added (if you need any) by editing xlsh.c
- Username autocompletion on TAB.
- Zenburn color scheme by default (when run under X).