Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Introduction to basic scratchpad training course
The Scratchpad basic training course focuses on creating and setting up a new site, adding various kinds of data and generating taxon pages.
The goal is to give an overview of what a Scratchpad can do and enable you to independently explore your Scratchpad after the event.
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Customise your site including the front page
- Add and edit biological classifications (manually and through import services)
- Add taxon descriptions and images to create taxon pages
- Import and manage your bibliography
- Find your content using different search methods
- Administer site users
- Control and explore site functionality with site tools
For the purposes of the training courses each participant will be assigned a temporary training site to work with. Your trainer will provide your training site address.
Use the following credentials to log in to the training sites:
The training sites will be available to the participants for two weeks after the training course. After this period all temporary training courses will be erased. If, after the training course, require a Scratchpad for you or your community you will have to apply through the Scratchpads.eu site for one.
In order to go through the different functions of Scratcpads you will need to work with some sample material. You can download such material below:
- Zoological Scratchpad Training files can be downloaded from https://github.com/NaturalHistoryMuseum/scratchpads-help-files/raw/master/files/Basic_Training_Files.zip &
https://github.com/NaturalHistoryMuseum/scratchpads-help-files/raw/master/files/Training-files-rome.zip / https://github.com/NaturalHistoryMuseum/scratchpads-help-files/raw/master/files/New_Zoological_Material.zip or
- Botanical Scratchpad/eMonocot Training files can be download from https://github.com/NaturalHistoryMuseum/scratchpads-help-files/raw/master/files/Botanical_Training_Materials.zip
You can find this training course manual at http://help.scratchpads.eu/w/Category:Books