Astyanax is a high level Java client for Apache Cassandra. Apache Cassandra is a highly available column oriented database.
Astyanax is currently in use at Netflix. Issues generally are fixed as quickly as possbile and releases done frequently.
A quick overview can be found at the Netfilx Tech Blog. Some features provided by this client:
- High level, simple object oriented interface to Cassandra.
- Fail-over behavior on the client side.
- Connection pool abstraction. Implementation of a round robin connection pool.
- Monitoring abstraction to get event notification from the connection pool.
- Complete encapsulation of the underlying Thrift API and structs.
- Automatic retry of downed hosts.
- Automatic discovery of additional hosts in the cluster.
- Suspension of hosts for a short period of time after several timeouts.
- Annotations to simplify use of composite columns.
This work was initially inspired by Hector.