NeuroTools is a collection of tools for representing and analyzing neuroscientific data.
NeuroTools is written in Python, and works best with PyNN, or one of the growing list of simulation engines with a Python front-end such as NEURON, NEST, PCSIM, FACETS Neuromorphic VLSI, Brian, MOOSE/GENESIS, Neurospaces/GENESIS. NeuroTools provides modules to facilitate simulation setup, parameterization and instrumentation, and data management, analysis and visualization. The data-related tools are equally suited to analysis of experimental data, although that is not the primary motivation for their development.
NeuroTools aims to:
- increase the productivity of individual modellers by automating, simplifying, and establishing best-practices for common tasks,
- increase the productivity of the neuroscience modelling community by reducing the amount of code duplication across simulation communities,
- increase the reliability of data analysis tools leveraging Linus's law: "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow."
This code is considered to be mature and will not evolve - we will only focus on bug fixes.
Development of a new analysis library takes place @ https://github.com/NeuralEnsemble/elephant
Contributing to NeuroTools
If you are interested in participating in NeuroTools development, please see the webpage at http://neuralensemble.org/NeuroTools
NeuroTools has evolved in different flavours:
- a legacy version @ https://neuralensemble.kip.uni-heidelberg.de/svn/NeuroTools
- a fork by Trevor Bekolay: https://github.com/tbekolay/neurotools
- another fork (version 0.2.0) : https://github.com/meduz/NeuroTools
To install use:
pip install NeuroTools
For installation instructions, see doc/source/install.rst
For documentation see the
doc folder or http://packages.python.org/NeuroTools
For examples see the
- Home page: http://neuralensemble.org/NeuroTools
- Mailing list: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/neuralensemble
- Documentation: http://packages.python.org/neo/
- Bug reports: https://github.com/NeuralEnsemble/NeuroTools/issues
Copyright (C) 2008 Daniel Bruederle, Andrew Davison, Jens Kremkow Laurent Perrinet, Michael Schmuker, Eilif Muller, Eric Mueller, Pierre Yger
NeuroTools is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.
The GNU General Public License does not permit this software to be redistributed in proprietary programs.