You can now use the 16u2 as normal Arduino USB board like a Leonardo/Micro/Teensy with the Arduino IDE. Therefore you need to get some software and install it properly. Arduino IDE 1.6.6 or higher is required.
1. CDC Driver installation (Windows 7/8 only):
You have to install new drivers for the 8/16/32u2 if you want to use its USB functions. This is because it uses different USB PID/VIDs to enumerate as different device like the Leonardo for example.
This is not required for the 32u4 or Windows10/Mac/Linux users.
Before I used an own driver file named HoodLoader2.inf, but there are some problems with unsigned drivers under Windows8. To install a signed driver instead please use the Teensy driver which works for every USB Serial device.
The Teensy driver recognizes any CDC USB device as "Teensy USB-Serial" (and not as HoodLoader2) if no other driver is installed. This is also useful if you plan to change the PID/VID for developing.
2. Installing board definitions
####a) Installation via Boards Manager
- Open the Preferences of the Arduino IDE.
- Add the Build URL above in the Additional Boards Manager URLs field, and click OK.
- Open the Boards Manager (menu Tools->Board->Board Manager...)
- Install HoodLoader2
- Select one of the boards under HoodLoader2 Boards in Tools->Board menu
- Compile/Upload as usual
####b) Manual Installation To get the HooddLoader2 board definitions for uploading, copy the extracted HoodLoader2 folder into your sketchbook like this: sketchbook/hardware/HoodLoader2/
Remove the '-master' postfix.
3. Installing Arduino IDE 1.6.6 (or higher)
You should now have installed the bootloader itself, drivers, HL2 board definitions and the newest IDE. Continue reading with the getting started page.