Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Welcome to the Serenity for Android/Google TV wiki!
Serenity for Android is a Plex Media Server and Emby Media Server client. It is an alternative Android TV and Fire TV applicatiosn for browsing and playing content served one of the servers. This is an open source project so the source code is freely available and can be forked and modified. Contributions are always welcome from the community.
This is optimized for home use with a large screen TV.
More information about Serenity can be found in the FLOSS Weekly interview:
Note: The free version here is signed with a different certificate than the one in the google play store. If you want to install the version from the play store, uninstall the sideloaded version first. The apps are the same, just signed with different keys, and you get automatic updates from the play store. Play store versions help fund future development.
Table of Contents
- Feature Comparison with Plex for Android
- Recommended Apps
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Downloads or Install from Google Play.
- Bug Report
- Android TV or Amazon Fire TV
- Android Internet TV devices running Ice Cream Sandwich or higher.
- Tested with Plex Media Server and Emby Server 3.13.
The app provides access to your Plex Media Server data that is served locally. It is optimized for a 10ft viewing experience.
- Optimized for 720p or larger video resolutions.
- Movie Browsing - Browse your existing content.
- TV Show/Series Browsing - Browse your TV/Show and Series.
- Category and Secondary Category filters for Movies and TV Shows
- Ability to use an External player if you have one you particularly like.
- External players are recommended for use with Tablets as codec availability is better.
- Internal Video player that makes use of Plex Media Server/Emby Media SErver metadata for playback.
- TV Show/Movie Poster
- Video Resolution
- Audio Format
- Video Format
- Audio Channels
- Resume ability for picking up where you left off with a video.
- Video Queue and Continuous Play back of items in the queue Coming in 2.1.0
- Movie/TV Show watched/unwatched count.
- Filter browsing views by Recently Added, Recently Viewed, Unwatched, On Deck, and much more.
- In app search for Movies. Useful if you have a large movie collection.
Transcoding of videos is currently supported. The application will try and determine if Direct Streaming or Transcoding is needed based on the codecs your device can support. If transcoding is necessary, it will prefer transcoding to MKV, H264, and AAC audio.
Subtitles and Transcoding
Subtitles will be re-enabled in 2.1.0
Where subtitles need to be transcoded, there are plans to natively support subtitles within the app so transcoding will not be necessary for this. If you can, it is suggested to re-encode the video currently to burn in the subtitles. Applications such as Handbrake can help with the re-encoding process.
If you need to have AC3 or DTS, you may want to look at using a container format such as MKV which supports multiple audio tracks. Make the first audio track encoded with AAC, and have the second audio track as passthru of AC3 or DTS. This will increase slightly the stored size of your files, but it allows for direct play of the content in serenity without transcoding.Recommended companion apps: ----
- MX Player recommended for use on a Tablet as an external player.
- ES File Explorer for installing the APK.
You can also use the Internal player which provides additional On Screen Display information. External player is recommended for Tablets because of limited codec support on most of those devices.Reporting Bugs: --- **Emby**
Serenity currently only supports user logins with out a password or pin. It will support the other methods in a future version. Emby does not support Emby Connect or any Emby Premier features.
Comments and feature requests can be made on the Serenity thread at Emby's community support forum.
Note: If you are not seeing videos, please also check your Plex Media Server's Authorized network settings and our MyPlex support page.
- In the plex media server settings: show advanced settings, network. And then under "List of networks that are allowed without auth" make sure your local network has the netmask spelled out explicitly For example, 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 instead of 192.168.1.0/24 - the later does not work, the former does.
You need to know your plex media server's local ip address. As of version 0.10.0, Serenity can autodiscover the IP Address if you have DLNA enabled on the server. It populates the ip address in the Preferred Server preference setting.
Serenity uses the IP Address to access the server and if it is wrong, the only menu item that will show will be the Settings menu. To test that you have the correct IP address, you can open the Plex Media Server's web application in your browser. If your ip address was 192.168.0.108 for example, you can access the web application by entering the following url:
Replace the ip address with your ip address and if the web app comes up that is the IP address to use when setting up Serenity.
When reporting bugs please provide the output of the following URLs, particularly the Server Version you are using as this will help us debug why menu items are not displaying:
I also need from the following URL what it says under type:
Replace the 192.168.0.108 with the IP Address for your server. If possible include the RAW XML output as we can then add these to integration and regression tests.
In addtion for movies and tv shows, we need information from the all section. Assuming your movies are in key 1, the following will return the information:
In the bug report you can keep the XML intact by indenting it 5 spaces.