Awesome Deep Learning Project Ideas
A curated list of practical deep learning and machine learning project ideas
- 30+ ideas
- Relevant to both the academia and industry
- Ranges from beginner friendly to research projects
Text - With some topics about Natural language processing
Forecasting - Most of the topics in this section is about Time Series and similar forecasting challenges
Vision - With topics about image and video processing
Covid19 - Multi or Single Domain ideas from the Covid19 theme
Music and Audio - These topics are about combining ideas from language and audio to understand music
- Classify Bing Queries as either specific (e.g. about a specific location) or generic. You might have to figure out a more exact definition of specific or generic though
- Dataset: BingCoronavirusQuerySet
Covid Clinical Data
- Rank and sort high risk patients using clinical data. Pick an interpretable approach if you can.
- Dataset: CovidClinicalData
If you haven't already, checkout Kaggle's Covid19 Section as well. It has datasets and ideas both.
Autonomous Tagging of StackOverflow Questions
- Identify keywords from millions of questions
- Dataset: StackOverflow question samples by Facebook
- Multi-label classification of printed media articles to topics
- Dataset: Greek Media monitoring multi-label classification
Natural Language Understanding
Automated essay grading
- The purpose of this project is to implement and train machine learning algorithms to automatically assess and grade essay responses.
- Dataset: Essays with human graded scores
Sentence to Sentence semantic similarity
- Can you identify question pairs that have the same intent or meaning?
- Dataset: Quora question pairs with similar questions marked
Fight online abuse
- Can you confidently and accurately tell whether a particular comment is abusive?
- Dataset: Toxic comments on Kaggle
Open Domain question answering
Social Chat/Conversational Bots
Automatic text summarization
- Can you create a summary with the major points of the original document?
- Abstractive (write your own summary) and Extractive (select pieces of text from original) are two popular approaches
- Dataset: CNN and DailyMail News Pieces by Google DeepMind
- Generate plausible new text which looks like some other text
- Obama Speeches? For instance, you can create a bot which writes some new speeches in Obama's style
- Trump Bot? Or a Twitter bot which mimics @realDonaldTrump
- Narendra Modi bot saying "doston"? Start by scrapping off his Hindi speeches from his personal website
- Example Dataset: English Transcript of Modi speeches
Check mlm/blog for some hints.
- Do Twitter Sentiment Analysis on tweets sorted by geography and timestamp.
- Dataset: Tweets sentiment tagged by humans
- Can you classify the text of an e-mail message to decide who sent it?
- Dataset: 150,000 Enron emails
Univariate Time Series Forecasting
- How much will it rain this year?
- Dataset: 45 years of rainfall data
Multi-variate Time Series Forecasting
- How polluted will your town's air be? Pollution Level Forecasting
- Dataset: Air Quality dataset
- Find a short term forecast on electricity consumption of a single home
- Dataset: Electricity consumption of a household
Predict Blood Donation
Search + Recommendation System
- Predict which Xbox game a visitor will be most interested in based on their search query
- Dataset: BestBuy
Can you predict Influencers in the Social Network?
- How can you predict social influencers?
- Dataset: PeerIndex
- Object recognition or image classification task is how Deep Learning shot up to it's present-day resurgence
- MS COCO is the modern replacement to the ImageNet challenge
- MNIST Handwritten Digit Classification Challenge is the classic entry point
- Character recognition (digits) is the good old Optical Character Recognition problem
- Bird Species Identification from an Image using the Caltech-UCSD Birds dataset dataset
- Diagnosing and Segmenting Brain Tumors and Phenotypes using MRI Scans
- Dataset: MICCAI Machine Learning Challenge aka MLC 2014
- Identify endangered right whales in aerial photographs
- Dataset: MOAA Right Whale
- Can computer vision spot distracted drivers?
- Dataset: State Farm Distracted Driver Detection on Kaggle
Bone X-Ray competition
- Can you identify if a hand is broken from a X-ray radiographs automatically with better than human performance?
- Stanford's Bone XRay Deep Learning Competition with MURA Dataset
- Can you caption/explain the photo a way human would?
- Dataset: MS COCO
Image Segmentation/Object Detection
Large-Scale Video Understanding
- Can you produce the best video tag predictions?
- Dataset: YouTube 8M
- Can you recompose images in the style of other images?
- Dataset: fzliu on GitHub shared target and source images with results
- Can you detect if someone is sick from their chest XRay? Or guess their radiology report?
- Dataset: MIMIC-CXR at Physionet
Clinical Diagnostics: Image Identification, classification & segmentation
- Can you help build an open source software for lung cancer detection to help radiologists?
- Link: Concept to clinic challenge on DrivenData
Satellite Imagery Processing for Socioeconomic Analysis
- Can you estimate the standard of living or energy consumption of a place from night time satellite imagery?
- Reference for Project details: Stanford Poverty Estimation Project
Satellite Imagery Processing for Automated Tagging
- Can you automatically tag satellite images with human features such as buildings, roads, waterways and so on?
- Help free the manual effort in tagging satellite imagery: Kaggle Dataset by DSTL, UK
Music/Audio Recommendation Systems
Music Genre recognition using neural networks
Can I use the ideas here for my thesis? Yes, totally! I'd love to know how it went.
Do you have any advice before I start my project? Advice for Short Term Machine Learning Projects by Tim R. is a pretty good starting point!
Would you like to share my solution/code to a problem here? Sure - why not?
Go to the GitHub issues tab in this repository and let me know there.
How can I add my ideas here? Just send a pull request and we'll discuss?
Hey, something is wrong here! Yikes, I am sorry. Please tell me by raising a GitHub issue.
I'll fix it as soon as possible.
Problems are motivated by the ones shared at:
Built with lots of keyboard smashing and copy-pasta love by NirantK. Find me on Twitter!
If you are interested in seeing exclusive machine learning and deep learning project ideas, share your e-mail address here!
This repository is licensed under the MIT License. Please see the LICENSE file for more details.