ENiGMA½ BBS Software
ENiGMA½ is a modern BBS software with a nostalgic flair!
Features Available Now
- Multi platform: Anywhere Node.js runs likely works (known to work under Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OS X and Windows)
- Unlimited multi node support (for all those BBS "callers"!)
- MCI support for lightbars, toggles, input areas, and so on plus many other other bells and whistles
- Telnet, SSH, and both secure and non-secure WebSocket access built in! Additional servers are easy to implement
- CP437 and UTF-8 output
- SyncTERM style font and baud emulation support. Display PC/DOS and Amiga style artwork as it's intended! In general, ANSI-BBS / cterm.txt / bansi.txt are followed for expected BBS behavior.
- Full SAUCE support.
- Renegade style pipe color codes.
- SQLite storage of users, message areas, etc.
- Strong PBKDF2 backed password encryption.
- Door support including common dropfile formats for legacy DOS doors. Built in BBSLink, DoorParty, Exodus and CombatNet support!
- Bunyan logging!
- Message networks with FidoNet Type Network (FTN) + BinkleyTerm Style Outbound (BSO) message import/export. Messages Bases can also be exposed via Gopher, or NNTP!
- Gazelle inspired File Bases including fast fully indexed full text search (FTS), #tags, and HTTP(S) temporary download URLs using a built in web server. Legacy X/Y/Z modem also supported!
- Upload processor supporting FILE_ID.DIZ and NFO extraction, year estimation, and more!
- ANSI support in the Full Screen Editor (FSE), file descriptions, etc.
- A built in achievement system. BBSing gamified!
In the Works
Many more features are in the pipeline. Checkout the the issue tracker and feel free to request features (or contribute!) features.
As of now this is considered alpha code! Please expect bugs
See the issue tracker for more information.
- Use the issue tracker
- Discussion on a ENiGMA BBS! (see Boards below)
- IRC: #enigma-bbs on chat.freenode.net (webchat)
- Discussion on fsxNet available on many boards
- Email: bryan -at- l33t.codes
- Facebook ENiGMA½ group
ENiGMA has been tested with many terminals. However, the following are suggested for BBSing:
💀Xibalba 💀(ssh://xibalba.l33t.codes:44511 or telnet://xibalba.l33t.codes:44510)
- fORCE9: (telnet://bbs.force9.org)
- Undercurrents: (ssh://undercurrents.io)
- PlaneT Afr0: (ssh://planetafr0.org:8889)
On *nix type systems:
curl -o- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NuSkooler/enigma-bbs/master/misc/install.sh | bash
Please see Installation Methods for Windows, Docker, and so on...
- Dave Stephens aka RiPuk for the awesome ENiGMA website and KICK ASS documentation, code contributions, etc.
- Daniel Mecklenburg Jr. for the awesome VTX terminal and general coding talk
- M. Brutman, author of mTCP (Interwebs for DOS!)
- M. Griffin, author of Enthral BBS, Oblivion/2 XRM and EtherTerm!
- Caphood, supreme SysOp of BLACK ƒlag BBS
- Luciano Ayres of Blocktronics, creator of the "Mystery Skulls" default ENiGMA½ theme!
- Sudndeath for Xibalba ANSI work!
- Jack Phlash for kick ass ENiGMA½ and Xibalba ASCII (Check out IMPURE60!!)
- Avon of Agency BBS and fsxNet for putting up with my experiments to his system
- Maskreet of Throwback BBS hosting DoorParty!
- Apam of Magicka
- nail/blocktronics for the sickmade Xibalba logo!
- Whazzit/blocktronics for the amazing Mayan ANSI pieces scattered about Xibalba BBS!
Released under the BSD 2-clause license:
Copyright (c) 2015-2019, Bryan D. Ashby All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.