Welcome to OGGM-Edu!
This platform is an educational website about glaciers.
Our main goal is to provide tools and materials for instructors who want to teach about glaciers at school, in workshops or at the university. For example, OGGM-Edu was used to conduct a weeklong workshop on glaciology and glacial water resources for undergraduate Peruvian students.
OGGM-Edu has four independent components, serving complementary purposes:
- :ref:`title_apps`, to illustrate glaciological processes with the help of interactive graphics on the web. The targeted audience is very broad, from school children to adults, with or without scientific background.
- :ref:`title_graphics`, open access images and graphics that can be used for lectures or presentations.
- :ref:`title_notebooks`, for students willing to run and develop their own experiments. The targeted audience are students at the undergrad or graduate level with some programming experience, or under the supervision of an instructor who can show them how to run the experiments.
- :ref:`title_tuto`, for current and future users of the Open Global Glacier Model. These notebooks are targetting graduate students or scientists aiming to learn how the model works.
OGGM-Edu focuses on interactive content and numerical glacier experiments. We do not provide teaching resources about fundamentals in glaciology or climate science: for fundamental textbook material, refer to :ref:`other_resources`, which OGGM-Edu intends to complement.
These interactive apps can be run on any computer with an internet connection.
.. toctree:: :maxdepth: 1 :hidden: :caption: Interactive apps gallery.rst explorer.rst simulator.rst alps_future.rst
.. seealso:: Check out our new :ref:`activity_sheets` for high school teachers!
Open access images and graphics that can be used for lectures or presentations.
.. toctree:: :maxdepth: 1 :hidden: :caption: Graphics glacier_basics.rst glacier_lowpass.rst
Collection of notebooks with simple experiments explaining one or more glaciological concepts. They are relatively easy to follow and adapt with some background in programming, and we are working to make them as accessible as possible. Read our :ref:`notebooks_howto` first if you are new to these things.
.. toctree:: :maxdepth: 1 :hidden: :caption: Interactive Notebooks notebooks_howto.rst notebooks_flowline_intro.rst notebooks_ice_flow_parameters.rst notebooks_surging_glaciers.rst notebooks_mass_balance_gradient.rst notebooks_temperature_index_models.rst notebooks_accumulation_and_ablation.rst notebooks_advance_and_retreat.rst notebooks_real_glacier_simulations.rst
These are more advanced notebooks, for users of the OGGM model.
.. toctree:: :maxdepth: 1 :hidden: :caption: OGGM tutorials oggm_tuto.rst
For instructors and teachers
Thanks for considering OGGM-Edu for your classes! We've gathered some recommendations and guidelines here.
.. toctree:: :maxdepth: 1 :hidden: :caption: For instructors and teachers why_oggmedu.rst classes_howto.rst activity_sheets user_content.rst technical_details.rst other_resources.rst charter.rst roadmap.rst
Get in touch
Interested in OGGM-Edu? We would love to hear from you!
- All of this website and notebooks are located on GitHub.
- Report bugs or share your ideas on the issue tracker.
- Improve the website by submitting a pull request.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- Or you can always send us an e-mail the good old way.
OGGM-Edu is an affiliated project of the larger OGGM consortium (oggm.org). It is mainly the work of volunteers, but we also had support from various sources:
- the University of Innsbruck, Förderkreis 1669 – Wissen schafft Gesell schaft (2019-2020).
- the German BMBF (project FKZ 01LS1602A, 2017-2019).
- Google Cloud | Data Solutions for Change who provided cloud computing and hosting credits (2019-2020).
- the University of Innsbruck, department of Digital Sciences (Neue Medien Projekte, 2018).
- the OGGM e.V. organisation, who supported the creation of the OGGM-Edu logo and of the glacier graphics.
We rely on awesome open source tools to run OGGM-Edu! Most notably:
- and many (many) other packages of the scientific python ecosytem
Last but not least: thanks to all OGGM-Edu friends and contributors! For a full list, see our github repository.