Wikidata Wahldaten Workshop
Date: 30th of September 2017
Location: Wikimedia Austria Office in Vienna.
In the workshop, we will introduce to Wikidata through elections.
|14:00 - 14:25||Welcome|
|14:25 - 14:40||Introduction Wikidata|
|14:40 - 15:00||Introduction Elections and Wikidata|
|15:00 - 15:10||Break|
|15:10 - 16:35||Workshop part I|
|16:35 - 16:50||Break|
|16:50 - 17:50||Workshop part II|
|17:50 - 18:00||Conclusion|
Stefan Kasberger and Sonja Fischbauer
- Welcome participants from Open Knowledge Austria and Wikimedia Austria.
- Friendly space policy
- Short introduction round from participants
Introduction into the world of Wikidata.
Introduction Elections and Wikidata
Introduction into data around elections and the status quo of Wikidata in election related data. We will learn what kind of data is created around elections, how the status quo of election data in wikidata is and what we do at #OffeneWahlen AT.
- Election data: Meine Abgeordnete, data.gv.at, BMI, Offenes Parlament, Parteispende.at, Neuwal, EveryPolitician, weitere Resourcen
- Election data in Wikidata
Tobias Schönberg and Simeona Cruz.
Fo beginners in both, Wikidata and election data.
- A Gentle Introduction to Wikidata for Absolute Beginners - including non-techies!
- SPARQL for absolute beginners
For beginners in Wikidata with some basic experience around elections and/or election data.
First we will do our first edit in Wikidata, as we look for informations about parties and add them. Then we will have a short look into SPARQL (the Wikidata query language) and the Wikidata API. In the second part we will discuss about problems and the possible future of wikidata around political entities.
- Register Wikidata account
- Add a party
- Show status of austrian parties in wikidata (SPARQL query)
- Show austrian party register (Spreadsheet)
- Look if party already exists
- Do online research about party: e. g. website, Twitter, name, short-name, creation data, color, wikipedia url,
- Document status with sources if available
- Talk about experiences
- Create/update entries
- Show status of Austrian parties in Wikidata again (SPARQL query)
- Introduction into SPARQL (Slides)
- Introduction to the API
- WikidataIntegrator: Python tool for the API
- developed by life-science researchers
- Prepare data: create an object for each entry
- Write all objects to the logged-in instance
- other Tools (External tools, Tools Directory)
- Discussion --> Document in Etherpad
- Which Data should be in and which sources do you know?
- Use-Cases for Wikidata around elections: ideas?
- Unique Identifiers: Problems, chances, paths toward it?
- What are you interested in?
- What should be done next / most important data?