SharePoint ONLYOFFICE integration solution
This solution enables users to edit office documents from SharePoint using ONLYOFFICE Document Server. Currently the following document formats can be edited: DOCX, XLSX, PPTX, PPSX. The above mentioned formats are also available for viewing together with PDF, DJVU, TXT, CSV, ODT, ODS, ODP, DOC, XLS, PPT, PPS, EPUB, RTF, HTML, HTM, MHT, XPS.
The solution will create a new Edit in ONLYOFFICE menu option within the context menu of the file and the ribbon for Office documents. This allows multiple users to collaborate in real time and to save back those changes to SharePoint.
Installing ONLYOFFICE Document Server
You will need an instance of ONLYOFFICE Document Server that is resolvable and connectable both from SharePoint and any end clients. If that is not the case, use the official ONLYOFFICE Document Server documentation page: Document Server for Linux. ONLYOFFICE Document Server must also be able to POST to SharePoint directly.
The easiest way to start an instance of ONLYOFFICE Document Server is to use Docker.
Deploying SharePoint ONLYOFFICE integration solution
Before you use ONLYOFFICE Document Server with ONLYOFFICE SharePoint solution, you need to install it. If you for some reason plan to edit the ONLYOFFICE SharePoint solution source code, you will need to compile it and install it afterwards. If you do not want to do that and plan to use the already compiled solution package, please skip to the Installation section directly.
Compiling ONLYOFFICE SharePoint integration solution
If you have SharePoint with version later than 2010, you will not need to change anything, you can compile the project. In case you have SharePoint 2010 and want to build the project for this version, you will need to open the ONLYOFFICE.csproj file and find the lines:
<Project ToolsVersion="15.0" DefaultTargets="Build" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003"> <PropertyGroup> <TargetFrameworkVersion>v4.5.2</TargetFrameworkVersion> <TargetOfficeVersion>15.0</TargetOfficeVersion>
Replace these lines with the following ones:
<Project ToolsVersion="14.0" DefaultTargets="Build" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003"> <PropertyGroup> <TargetFrameworkVersion>v3.5</TargetFrameworkVersion> <TargetOfficeVersion>14.0</TargetOfficeVersion>
And go to the steps below after that.
There are two ways to compile ONLYOFFICE SharePoint integration solution:
a. Using MS Visual Studio:
- Enter the SharePoint server and open this project in Visual Studio.
- In Solution Explorer, open the shortcut menu for the project and then choose Publish.
- In the Publish dialog box, choose the Publish to File System option button.
- Click the Publish button. When the publishing process is finished, the solution .wsp file will be created.
- Copy the resulting file to the folder with the Install.ps1 file (BuildAndInstall folder by default).
b. With the help of the build.bat file provided:
- Go to the BuildAndInstall folder.
- Run the build.bat file.
- The resulting solution .wsp file will be created and placed to the BuildAndInstall folder.
Installing ONLYOFFICE SharePoint integration solution
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services, and make sure that SharePoint Administration service is started.
- Click Start, click SharePoint Management Shell, go to the directory with the .wsp file.
- Run the Install.ps1 script:
- Enter your SharePoint site:
Alternatively to steps 3 and 4 you can type the following command:
Add-SPSolution -LiteralPath <SolutionPath>/onlyoffice.wsp
On the SharePoint Central Administration Home page, click System Settings > Farm Management > Manage farm solutions. On the Solution Management page, click the "onlyoffice.wsp", then click "Deploy Solution".
- On the SharePoint Central Administration home page, under Application Management, click Manage web applications.
- Make sure you select your site and click the Authentication Providers icon.
- In the Authentication Providers pop-up window click Default zone.
- Under Edit Authentication, check Enable anonymous access and click Save.
- Going back to Web Application Management click on the Anonymous Policy icon.
- Under Anonymous Access Restrictions select your Zone and set the Permissions to None – No policy and click Save.
Configuring SharePoint ONLYOFFICE integration solution
In SharePoint open the
/_layouts/15/Onlyoffice/Settings.aspx page with administrative settings. Enter the following address to connect ONLYOFFICE Document Server:
Where the documentserver is the name of the server with the ONLYOFFICE Document Server installed. The address must be accessible for the user browser and from the SharePoint server. The SharePoint server address must also be accessible from ONLYOFFICE Document Server for correct work.
How it works
User navigates to a document within SharePoint and selects the Edit in ONLYOFFICE action on context menu or ribbon.
SharePoint ONLYOFFICE solution makes a request to the editor page (URL of the form:
SharePoint ONLYOFFICE solution prepares a JSON object with the following properties:
- url - the URL that ONLYOFFICE Document Server uses to download the document;
- callback - the URL that ONLYOFFICE Document Server informs about status of the document editing;
- documentServerUrl - the URL that the client needs to reply to ONLYOFFICE Document Server (can be set at the settings page);
- key - the file identificator from SharePoint;
- fileName - the document Title (name);
- userId - the identification of the user;
- userName - the name of the user.
SharePoint ONLYOFFICE solution constructs a page, filling in all of those values so that the client browser can load up the editor.
Then ONLYOFFICE Document Server downloads the document from SharePoint and the user begins editing.
When all users and client browsers are done with editing, they close the editing window.
After 10 seconds of inactivity, ONLYOFFICE Document Server sends a POST to the callback URL letting SharePoint ONLYOFFICE solution know that the clients have finished editing the document and closed it.
SharePoint ONLYOFFICE solution downloads the new version of the document, replacing the old one.