The OWASP Amass Project performs network mapping of attack surfaces and external asset discovery using open source information gathering and active reconnaissance techniques.
Information Gathering Techniques Used:
|DNS||Brute forcing, Reverse DNS sweeping, NSEC zone walking, Zone transfers, FQDN alterations/permutations, FQDN Similarity-based Guessing|
|Scraping||AbuseIPDB, Ask, AskDNS, Baidu, Bing, DNSDumpster, DuckDuckGo, Gists, HackerOne, HyperStat, IPv4Info, PKey, RapidDNS, Riddler, Searchcode, Searx, SiteDossier, SpyOnWeb, Yahoo|
|Certificates||Active pulls (optional), Censys, CertSpotter, Crtsh, Digitorus, FacebookCT, GoogleCT|
|APIs||360PassiveDNS, ARIN, Ahrefs, AlienVault, AnubisDB, BinaryEdge, BGPView, BufferOver, BuiltWith, C99, Chaos, CIRCL, Cloudflare, CommonCrawl, DNSDB, DNSlytics, Detectify, FOFA, GitHub, GitLab, Greynoise, HackerTarget, Hunter, IntelX, IPdata, IPinfo, Maltiverse, Mnemonic, N45HT, NetworksDB, ONYPHE, PassiveTotal, PentestTools, Quake, RADb, ReconDev, Robtex, SecurityTrails, ShadowServer, Shodan, SonarSearch, Spamhaus, Spyse, Sublist3rAPI, TeamCymru, ThreatBook, ThreatCrowd, ThreatMiner, Twitter, Umbrella, URLScan, VirusTotal, WhoisXMLAPI, ZETAlytics, ZoomEye|
|Web Archives||ArchiveIt, Arquivo, HAW, UKWebArchive, Wayback|
You can find some additional installation variations in the Installation Guide.
- Simply unzip the package
- Put the precompiled binary into your path
- Start using OWASP Amass!
brew tap caffix/amass brew install amass
sudo snap install amass
- Install Docker
- Pull the Docker image by running
docker pull caffix/amass
docker run -v OUTPUT_DIR_PATH:/.config/amass/ caffix/amass enum -share -d example.com
The volume argument allows the Amass graph database to persist between executions and output files to be accessed on the host system. The first field (left of the colon) of the volume option is the amass output directory that is external to Docker, while the second field is the path, internal to Docker, where amass will write the output files.
- Install Go and setup your Go workspace
- Download OWASP Amass by running
go get -v github.com/OWASP/Amass/v3/...
- At this point, the binary should be in
Use the Installation Guide to get started.
Go to the User's Guide for additional information.
See the Tutorial for example usage.
See the Amass Scripting Engine Manual for greater control over your enumeration process.
If you need help with installation and/or usage of the tool, please join our Discord server where community members can best help you.
For a list of all contributors to the OWASP Amass Project please visit our HALL_OF_FAME.md.
External Projects Helping Amass Users
"Accenture’s adversary simulation team has used Amass as our primary tool suite on a variety of external enumeration projects and attack surface assessments for clients. It’s been an absolutely invaluable basis for infrastructure enumeration, and we’re really grateful for all the hard work that’s gone into making and maintaining it – it’s made our job much easier!"
- Max Deighton, Accenture Cyber Defense Manager
Did you write a blog post, magazine article or do a podcast about OWASP Amass? Or maybe you held or joined a conference talk or meetup session, a hacking workshop or public training where this project was mentioned?
Add it to our ever-growing list of REFERENCES.md by forking and opening a Pull Request!
- SecurityTrails | Introducing the new OWASP Amass Information Sharing Feature: a Big Community Effort to Share Accurate Domain and Subdomain data, for everyone
- WhoisXML API | OWASP Amass and WhoisXML API Are Now Integration Partners
- Intigriti | Hacker tools: Amass – Hunting for Subdomains
- Hakluke | Guide to Amass — How to Use Amass More Effectively for Bug Bounties
- SecurityTrails | OWASP Amass: A Solid Information Gathering Tool
- TrustedSec | Upgrade Your Workflow, Part 1: Building OSINT Checklists
- SANS ISC | Offensive Tools Are For Blue Teams Too
- Daniel Miessler | amass — Automated Attack Surface Mapping
- Dionach | How to Use OWASP Amass: An Extensive Tutorial
- Jason Haddix | LevelUp 0x02 - The Bug Hunters Methodology v3(ish)
- Hacker Toolbelt | OWASP Amass OSINT Reconnaissance
- ToolWar | Extreme Subdomain Enumeration/Scanning on Windows : OWASP Amass
- Ghost Lulz | YouTube - Bug Bounty Tips: Amass Recon Tool
- Capt. Meelo | Asset Enumeration: Expanding a Target's Attack Surface
- Noobhax | My Recon Process — DNS Enumeration
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the Apache license. OWASP Amass and any contributions are Copyright © by Jeff Foley 2017-2021. Some subcomponents have separate licenses.