Office 2010 Style Ribbon Toolbar in HTML/CSS/JS
Originally posted at http://rogerpincombe.com/ribbon on June 8, 2011
I have created an implementation of the Office 2010 Ribbon toolbar that can be used in any website. It is written in HTML, CSS, and JS. Try a demo at http://okgodoit.com/ribbon/ or watch the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YOpn2W-fQ8.
- Default (silver and blue) and alternate (silver and red) themes
- .less styling so you can make your own themes easily
- 2010-style Backstage feature (optional)
- 2 button sizes
- Buttons can have a disabled state
- Tabs, sections, and buttons can all have custom HTML (such as bold or entities) in their titles
- Optional hot and disabled icon states
- Full HTML in ScreenTip (tooltip) supported
- So far I’ve tested it in Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and IE 8+.
- Uses the jQuery framework.
There’s still a lot of work left to be done, but I wanted to get it on here.
Please note that you legally should license the ribbon UX from Microsoft (for free) at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa973809.
Shameless plug for my new project
Do you want to look up people's personal information? Try my new service, AllThePeople.net. AllThePeople is the personal contact information database that allows you to look up information for anyone, including personal email addresses for celebrities like Felicia Day, birthdays of interesting entrepreneurs, and the phone number of pioneers like Steve Wozniak.