Open Science Basics
This chapter aims to provide concrete context as well as the key points for the most relevant aspects of Open Science. Starting from the core concepts and principles of Open Science, the chapter continues to address components such as Open Research Data, Open Access, Open Peer Review and Open Science Policies, together with more practical aspects such as Reproducible Research, Open Source Software and Open Licensing and File Formats.
Each section is structured so that it includes a short description of the topic, an explanation of the relevance to Open Science, the key learning objectives that should be highlighted within the context of a training session, the major components (knowledge and skills) that should be involved, some frequent questions/obstacles/misconceptions that are encountered for that topic, and finally the expected outcomes of a training session and some further reading.
- 1. Open Concepts And Principles
- 2. Open Research Data And Materials
- 3. Open Research Software And Open Source
- 4. Reproducible Research And Data Analysis
- 5. Open Access To Published Research Results
- 6. Open Licensing And File Formats
- 7. Collaborative Platforms
- 8. Open Peer Review Metrics And Evaluation
- 9. Open Science Policies
- 10. Citizen Science
- 11. Open Educational Resources
- 12. Open Advocacy