Minus is OpenDataDevOps's first virtual machine (aka "vm") targeted to Open Data developers, researchers, and Government data publishers.
Our immediate goal is creating a proof-of-concept "vagrant base box" demonstrating how a ready-to-run "guest" virtual computer can be easily downloaded onto a "host" laptop and be auto-configured with useful software and data.
Our long term goal is to help open data teams and projects go from zero to hero as fast as possible with a range of ready-to-run OpenData DevOps (aka "ODDO") vagrant boxes.
Minus started as an Open Data Day event on February 23, 2013 hosted at The World Bank.
- A computer onto which you can install software. (Tested on Mac, and Linux).
- Download & Install VirtualBox
- Download & Install Vagrant
- Add Vagrant Base Box (in terminal)
vagrant box add centos-6.3-x84_64-minimal https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7225008/Vagrant/CentOS-6.3-x86_64-minimal.box
- Clone out minus project
git clone email@example.com:OpenDataDevOps/minus.git
- Go into minus directory and boot up the vm (in terminal)
cd minus && vagrant up
- Be patient while vagrant configures your minus vm. This can take 5 to 10 minutes or longer...
- If Apache configuration reports error on initial
vagrant up, run
vagrant reloadto correct problem.
- Get into the virtual machine (vm) via ssh
vagrant upfrom the directory with this repository starts your vm and adds the correct configuration.
http://localhost:8080in your host computer browser brings up the Apache-served pages from your minus guest vm.
http://localhost:8111in your host computer browser brings up the Tomcat-served pages from your minus guest vm.
- Apache2 web server and index.html page stub, so you can start serving web pages.
- Java and Tomcat, so don't need to figure out how to install Java.
- Drake (a kind of make for data), so you can define reproducable data preparation sequences.
vagrant haltstops the minus guest vm.
vagrant reloadre-runs the configuration (and applies changes in the vagrant manifest) to the minus guest vm without re-establishing the base box.
vagrant destroyblows away the minus guest vm and let's you start all over again. Just. Like. That!