Cannon Fodder is an action-strategy shoot 'em up game developed by Sensible Software and published by Virgin Interactive.
The game is military-themed and based on shooting action but with a strategy game-style control system. The player directs troops through numerous missions, battling enemy infantry, vehicles and installations.
Open Fodder is an open source version of the Cannon Fodder engine, for modern operating systems.
- Website: http://openfodder.com
- Discord: https://discord.gg/4mX2wFM
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/segrax
You can play the demos in your browser here.
See OpenFodder Editor for the campaign and map editor.
Customisations and additions can be made to any of the scripts
Please see INSTALL.md
For the most recent Windows build, you may obtain the executable built during testing from Here
How to play
Open Fodder supports six demos from the Amiga platform, and three retail releases (See below for supported versions).
Command Line Parameters
OpenFodder [OPTION...] --about About -h, --help Help --pc Default to PC platform data --amiga Default to Amiga platform data --engine cf1 Default to engine (single map/random) (default: cf1) --columns 22 Number of camera columns (default: 22) --rows 16 Number of camera rows (default: 16) -w, --window Start in window mode --window-scale arg Set the window scale (default: 0) --cheats Enable cheat keys --max-sprite 45 Set the maximum sprites (default: 45) --max-spawn 10 Set the maximum spawn (default: 10) --sleep-delta 2 Set the engine speed (default: 2) --demo-record "Demo File" Record Demo (default: ) --demo-record-all Record Demo --demo-play "Demo File" Play Demo (default: ) --unit-test Run Tests --unit-test-headless Run Tests, with no output --nosound Disable sound output --playground Sprite playground --skipintro Skip all game intros --skipbriefing Skip mission briefing --skipservice Skip mission debriefing --skiphill Skip the hill --list-campaigns List available campaigns -c, --campaign "name" Starting campaign (default: ) -m, --mission 1 Starting mission (default: 0) -p, --phase 2 Starting phase (default: 0) --single-map "MyMap" Play a single map (default: ) -r, --random Generate and play a random map --random-save "MyMap" Generate and save a random map (default: ) --script "script.js" Name of script to execute (default: )
* F1: Switch to Amiga version (if available) * F2: Switch to PC version (if available) * F9: Make current squad invincible (with --cheats enabled) * F10: Complete current map (with --cheats enabled) * F11: Toggle full screen * +: Increase window size * -: Decrease window size * ESC: Back menu/abort phase * M: Show map (Retail releases only) * P: Pause game * 1: Select squad 1 * 2: Select squad 2 * 3: Select squad 3 * Space: Switch weapon
Purchasing the retail release
- Amiga CD32
- Dos CD
Cannon Fodder 2
- Dos CD
Six Amiga magazine coverdisk demos and one PC demo are included in the data pack.
- Amiga The One Issue #68: (Jun 1993)
- Amiga Power Issue #31: (Nov 1993) Cannon Fodder Plus
- Amiga Action Issue #51: (Dec 1993)
- Amiga Format Issue #54: (Dec 1993) Christmas Special (Cannon Soccer)
- Amiga Power Issue #45: (Jan 1995) Alien Levels
- Amiga Format Issue #68: (Feb 1995) Not Very Festive Fodder
- PC Format CD-ROM #1: (May 1994)
Sensible Software, for the original game
Alessandro Petralia, for his valuable testing
ScummVM, for the Amiga sound routines