OpenLineage is an Open standard for metadata and lineage collection designed to instrument jobs as they are running. It defines a generic model of run, job, and dataset entities identified using consistent naming strategies. The core lineage model is extensible by defining specific facets to enrich those entities.
- Duplication of effort: Each project has to instrument all jobs
- Integrations are external and can break with new versions
- Effort of integration is shared
- Integration can be pushed in each project: no need to play catch up
A facet is an atomic piece of metadata attached to one of the core entities. See the spec for more details.
The specification is defined using OpenAPI and allows extension through custom facets.
- Marquez: Marquez is an LF AI & DATA project to collect, aggregate, and visualize a data ecosystem's metadata. It is the reference implementation of the OpenLineage API.