IRC / Reddit
Check out OpenRCT2 on Discord where development chat takes place.
The OpenRCT2 subreddit and the #general channel in the Discord server above can be used to discuss less technical issues or get help.
What shall I work on?
Things you can do:
- Improve the wiki pages.
- Improve language support by helping to translate.
- Contribute code or graphics. Check out the pages with information for contributors below!
Ensure that you do not work on something that someone else is already working on. To do so, please have a chat with developers at OpenRCT2's Discord.
- Changes to original game, for a list of changes and features that have been made and implemented so far.
- FAQ & common issues
- Required RCT2 files for running the game.
- Known Issues from the RCT2 Readme
- Found bugs and limitations in RCT2
- Settings in config.ini for a list of settings that can be configured in config.ini.
- Using multiplayer
- Language support
- Loading RCT1 scenarios and data
- RCT1 features not in RCT2
- OpenGL renderengine issues
- Official extended scenery set
- Increasing of game limits
- Getting packaged versions
- External influences
General information for contributors
- Coding style
- Commit messages
- Features to implement, for a list of features that are ready to be implemented right now without any more game functions being re-written.
- Submitted feature requests, for a complete list of all feature requests submitted as issues.
- Dithering images, for creating large images or realistic sprites that use the RCT2 palette.
Technical information for contributors
- Overall program structure (WIP)
- Game actions
- Peep AI
- OpenGL renderer
- Sprite compiler
- Vehicle sprite layout
- Using Track Block Get Previous
- RCT12_MAX_SOMETHING versus MAX_SOMETHING
- Installation on Linux
- Building OpenRCT2 on Linux
- Building OpenRCT2 on Windows Subsystem for Linux
- ArchLinux AUR Package
- PPA for Ubuntu/Debian
RCT2 Technical Information
- SV6 ride structure
- TD6 format
- Track data
- game.cfg structure
- Strings used in the game
- Strings used in RCT1
- Widget colours
- G1 elements layout
- Sprite list G1.DAT
- Sprite list CSG1.DAT
- Music cleanup
- OpenRCT2 palette spreadsheet
- Easter eggs
- Original graphics
- RCT1 ride and vehicle types and their RCT2 equivalents
- Ride rating calculation
- Sizes and angles in the game world
- Track types
Technical information for contributors (historical)
- Decompiling tips IDA
- Decompiling tips OllyDbg
- Converting game commands to game actions - tutorial
- Game commands
- Newly identified fields
- Old coding style (left for reference)
- Peep sprite type
- STEX support removal
Check out the wiki locally
You may find it more convenient to edit the wiki in a text editor on your own machine; if so, run
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2.wiki.git, edit, commit, and push as you see fit.