OpenSC provides a set of libraries and utilities to work with smart cards. Its main focus is on cards that support cryptographic operations, and facilitate their use in security applications such as authentication, mail encryption and digital signatures. OpenSC implements the standard APIs to smart cards, e.g. PKCS#11 API, Windows’ Smart Card Minidriver and macOS CryptoTokenKit.
OpenSC 0.20.0 is the latest stable version released on 29.12.2019. It is available as
- Windows installer
- OpenSC-0.20.0.dmg: macOS installer
- opensc-0.20.0.tar.gz: Source code distribution
- 29.12.2019: SECURITY: Data handling issues prior to 0.20.0 (CVE-2019-6502, CVE-2019-15946, CVE-2019-15945, CVE-2019-19480, CVE-2019-19481, CVE-2019-19479), see security advisories.
- 29.12.2019: OpenSC 0.20.0 is available.
- 13.09.2018: SECURITY: Response APDU handling issues prior to 0.19.0 (CVE-2018-16391, CVE-2018-16392, CVE-2018-16393, CVE-2018-16418, CVE-2018-16419, CVE-2018-16420, CVE-2018-16421, CVE-2018-16422, CVE-2018-16423, CVE-2018-16424, CVE-2018-16425, CVE-2018-16426, CVE-2018-16427), see security advisories.
- 13.09.2018: OpenSC 0.19.0 is available.
- 16.05.2018: OpenSC 0.18.0 is available.
- 03.02.2018: Smart Cards in Linux and why you should care: Talk at FOSDEM 2018
- 18.07.2017: OpenSC 0.17.0 is available.
- 03.06.2016: OpenSC 0.16.0 is available.
- 03.09.2015: Continious integration for Windows with AppVeyor
- 16.05.2015: OpenSC 0.15.0 is available.
- 01.04.2015: Continious integration for macOS with Travis CI
- 24.01.2015: Static code analysis with Coverity Scan
- 21.01.2015: Continious integration for Linux with Travis CI
- 30.06.2014: OpenSC 0.14.0 is available.
- 04.12.2012: OpenSC 0.13.0 is available.
- 05.02.2011: OpenSC was at FOSDEM 2012.
- 14.07.2011: OpenSC 0.12.2 is available.
- 09.06.2011: eID interoperability through open source software: Talk at eID Management Conference
- 18.04.2011: OpenSC 0.12.1 is available.
- 14.04.2011: Nightly builds are available for Windows and Mac OS X users.
- 05.02.2011: OpenSC was at FOSDEM 2011.
- 17.12.2010: SECURITY: Response APDU handling issues prior to 0.12.0 (CVE-2010-4523), see security advisories.
See History of the OpenSC Project for older history.
OpenSC effort consists of various sub-projects that can be used independently as well, without OpenSC:
- libp11 is a wrapper library for PKCS#11 modules with OpenSSL interface
- pkcs11-helper is a wrapper library for PKCS#11 modules with extended callback mechanisms for user and token interaction
- PAM-PKCS#11 is a feature rich plugable authentication module (PAM) for authentication via PKCS#11 modules, which includes various tools to controls the login process
- pam_p11 is a simple plugable authentication module (PAM) for authentication via PKCS#11 modules
- OpenCT implements a reader driver interface for various non-standard readers on Linux
- OpenSC-Java is a Java PKCS#11 wrapper and JCE Provider
OpenSC is written by an international team of volunteers and is licensed as Open Source software under the LGPL license version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. For a list of all authors and contributors as well as detailed license information see OpenSC-Credits.