Module 5 content development
These are the main content development files for this MOOC module.
STATUS: LIVE! This module is now online and ready to go via Eliademy.
The third release for this module is now also ready, and has been published on Zenodo:
and an introductory video has also been published.
To cite this work, please use the following reference:
Jon Tennant; Simon Worthington; Tania Allard; Philipp Zumstein; Daniel S. Katz; Alexander Morley; Stephan Druskat; Julien Colomb; Arfon Smith; Ina Smith; Tobias Steiner; Rutger Vos; Konrad Förstner; Heidi Seibold; Alessandro Sarretta; Abigail Cabunoc Mayes. (2018, December 4). OpenScienceMOOC/Module-5-Open-Research-Software-and-Open-Source: Third release (Version 3.0.0). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1937708.
Please refer to the contributing guidelines before making changes here.
These are the draft content files. The content is fully accessible, and can be used for learning purposes, either individually or as a group, and can be shared and re-used as you wish. However, they have not been integrated into a formal MOOC platform yet. At the moment, they are being written in markdown format, and then using the notedown tool to convert into iPython notebook format. PDF and HTML versions are created using pandoc and the markdown to PDF package for Atom.
- Make sure you're working in Linux or Debian
- Change working directory: eg
- Install notedown:
pip install notedown
- Convert files:
notedown input.md > output.ipynb
IMPORTANT Please edit the markdown files, not the iPython/HTML files. These will be periodically converted and synchronised as needed.
In markdown format
- MAIN CONTENT - The main content for this Module. (YouTube video)
- TASK 1 - How to set up your first repository on GitHub. (YouTube video)
- TASK 2 - How to make your code citable using GitHub and Zenodo. (YouTube video)
- TASK 3 - How to integrate Git with RStudio. (YouTube video)
In iPython notebook format
Note: These are best viewed in Juypter for full functionality, as opposed to the GitHub viewer.
- MAIN CONTENT (click here to view)
- TASK 1 (click here to view)
- TASK 2 (click here to view)
- TASK 3 (click here to view)