Designations, benefits, expectations
A member of the AC who is actively meeting application review expectations.
A member who was once an active reviewer but is no longer expected to submit reviews and who continues to be associated with and recognized by OTF as being part of our community as an Advisory Council member.
Advisory Council or AC member(s)
A reference to all individuals who’ve served on the AC, whether or not they are active reviewers or emeritus.
For all AC members
- Monthly progress reports from OTF
- Access to the OTF application system with the ability view any application considered by the AC
- Ability to submit a review for any application currently under consideration
- Ability to see the formal determination messages for any application considered by the AC
- Opportunity to engage OTF team directly on any strategic and operational aspects
- Invitation to periodic AC only calls
- Invitation to attend the Internet Freedom Festival as a representative of OTF
- Ability to represent themselves as a part of OTF
For active reviewers
- All of the above
- Agency to directly influence the final determination of OTF decisions on all applications sent to the AC
- Invitation to attend OTF Annual Summit with expenses paid by OTF
- Invitation to attend the Internet Freedom Festival, with expenses paid by OTF
What we expect of AC members
- Complete the reviews as requested for each fund you are apart of.
- Provide us high/low strategic/tactical feedback whenever you have it on any and all topics affecting OTF that come to you, good or bad
- Openly represent yourself as a proud and integral part of OTF when and wherever you can
- Non-required extra credit: attend (on us) the AC meetups at either the annual OTF Summit or the annual Internet Freedom Festival
What AC members can expect from OTF
- We will maintain this online AC Handbook/On-Boarding document for your reference
- Offer to conduct personal training sessions with anyone who requests it on how to review and key considerations
- We will only send you a batch of proposals for review as described below and consult you if we need to change
- Every now and again, in urgent situations, we may send a proposal or two in between periods for your review
- Set deadlines of no less than 2 weeks to review proposals and send you plenty of reminders :-)
- Ensure the application system makes it very clear which proposals need reviews (those with less than 2 AC member reviews)
- Ensure all active AC members have full access to every proposal we’ve ever asked for AC review (that’s every effort we’ve ever supported as well as the ones we said no to) along with the formal determination messages sent to applicants
- Send an email briefing every two months containing: new efforts we’ve approved and why; which efforts have concluded and key outcomes; new, probably not-yet-public efforts/ideas upcoming we’d like you to know about (and get your thoughts on); some of the most important news we’ve seen; and where OTF team members will be in the next couple months for you to meet with.
- Invitation every four months to help craft the agenda for and participate in an online video session to dig into OTF topics high and low
- Invitation annually to attend (on us) the OTF Summit and the Internet Freedom Festival and the AC meetups at each
- That we will come find you at any events we’re both at throughout the year :-)